1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I’ll never forgive Hillary for totally ignoring Wis in 2016 when I made more visits there (1) than she did (0).

TowelWaver, franticscribe and Gutter like this.
  2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

It hasn’t been any kind of swing state since Mel Carnahan died in the plane crash. Claire McCaskill and Jay Nixon don’t count — the very definition of DINOs, those two.

Jack Danforth was the best of us. He has apologized for believing Hawley’s bullshit.

3. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

Yeah. The opposite of what I spoke about. You still have to spend most of your time in swing states, but a side trip out of the battle zone every now and then might have a benefit. Just depends on the year.

Which brings to mind something else ... I wonder what data is out there that demonstrates what kind of campaigning works where? I guarantee they have data, but how much bias does it have?

But yes, I'll never forgive Hillary for running the worst campaign I've ever experienced in my life. She and her handlers vastly over-estimated her own appeal and woefully under-estimated Trump's. Comey or no Comey, I'm not sure she wins anyway.

I'll never forget going on a work trip to Youngstown in the fall of 2016. Flew into Pittsburgh. I'm cheap, so I avoided the Turnpike and took two and four-lane roads up. Saw nothing but Trump signs in what had been 50-50 territory. That might have been the weekend of the Comey thing, but those signs were already there. It was at that moment that I sensed big trouble.

OscarMadison, wicked and TowelWaver like this.
  4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

FWIW, Butler is full-on MAGA.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

There was a sub USS Indianapolis when I was in the Navy.

6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I remember it being in the news in Indianapolis when that sub was retired in the mid-90s.

I think one of the useless littoral combat ships has the badge now.

Driftwood likes this.
  7. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

With the Arlington National Cemetery incident, I keep thinking about my own experiences there.

My first post-grad reporting gig started on Sept. 10, 2001 for one of the now defunct Gazette newspapers in the D.C. suburbs. Over the following three years I covered a half dozen or so funerals of active duty troops/combat deaths at Arlington.

The photography restrictions then were extremely tight. I was there as a reporter. The photog who went with me for five of the six was cordoned off at an incredible distance (he still managed to get incredibly moving shots) and to this day I can still hear him in my inner monologue bitching about what assholes the Arlington staff were about photography.

Driftwood likes this.
  8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If Hillary wins in 2016, she loses in 2020. Voting for a fourth Dem term in a row, in the middle of pandemic with (ostensibly) even more shutdowns and economic misery? Not going to happen.

Driftwood likes this.
  9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

They shouldn't go to jail.

They should go to an old-fashioned gaol ... and be clapped into the stocks.

OscarMadison and Driftwood like this.
  10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

My paternal grandfather came from a huge southwest Georgia family, and back in my newspaper days I saw an ad for a job at the Albany Herald and the ME or hiring manager or some such (it was a long time ago) had the same last name as me. That got me digging in a little deeper (although I didn't apply) and saw that there was a higher proportion of Circuses in Albany than you'd expect from the relative rarity of my name. I was mildly enthused by this until I thought more about the implications of it.

maumann likes this.
  11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I know this will come as a shock, but the front page Fox's website has no mention of Trump/Arlington whatsoever.

Patchen and garrow like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted