1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Per my uncle-in-law who is a bigwig at WM, they are convinced one of those businesses will put the other out of business in the next 10 years. Amazon hasn’t been able to crack the grocery nut yet. Walmart hasn’t cracked all the other stuff Amazon sells online yet. Once one does, the other will be in huge trouble.

Driftwood likes this.
  2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How many DGs have you been inside?

Driftwood likes this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Neutral Corner likes this.
  4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The only time I go to DG is to avoid driving the 12-mile round trip to the closest Walmart to get things I can't get anywhere else in town ... like coathangers, manila folders and (used to be) burnable CDs.

(I still have a stack of those somewhere and an ancient computer that still burns CDs, so maybe .....)

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

There's a DG four blocks from my house. On my most recent trio, I bought five cans of cat food. They'd be 85 cents at Publix, and they're a buck apiece at DG - but I'm back home before I could have taken them off the shelf at Publix. That's the kind of business they get from me. Something small that I can save time on.

Liut likes this.
  6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

The last time I set foot in a Casey’s was probably 13 years ago. I took a huge shit that clogged the toilet, washed my hands and sauntered out without buying a thing. I don’t feel sorry.

7. tea and ease

tea and ease Well-Known Member

Aww.. if this true, you're part of the problem. I don't know Casey's so perhaps they deserved it but where was your moral standard 13 years ago? About 13 years ago, my husband played a blues fest in Belgium. An American eating different food, more bread than meat in a sandwich (where's the beef ?). Small room shared with the band lead . Twin beds 3" apart in this hotel. This, and the band lead was relatively popular... not to digress... but hubby clogged that toilet and went to the night desk to use hand signals (think pumping hands ups and down) to mime a clogged toilet. There were about 15 other guys down there from various bands, drinking and partying and they all started laughing. He got his plunger and fixed it himself. Personal responsibility in the face of ridicule. Still makes a good story.

Liut and I Should Coco like this.
  8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I didn’t know that I would be here for the swingline shit shaming but here I am.

Liut, tea and ease and Neutral Corner like this.
  9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I. Do. Not. Feel. Sorry.

Fuck Casey’s, the Walmart for locally owned gas stations / quick stops.

tea and ease likes this.
  10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

My dad retired as pretty significant person from American Greetings. From time to time, he'd have to go Bentonville for negotiations. He always had to go for two days because the Walmart people and (I think at the time) Bud's people (might have been Big Lots), wouldn't meet with him on the same day. He had to take two entirely different wardrobes: suit and tie for Walmart; jeans and shirt for Bud's.
    He also said he hated dealing with Walmart because any other retailer asked "what can you do for us, what will it cost, and when can you deliver it" while Walmart's attitude was "this is what you will do for us, this is what we will pay, and you will deliver it at this time."

11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

How did clogging the toilet in a Belgium hotel come up?

Why I love this place.

Liut and I Should Coco like this.
  12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Damn waffles.

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted