1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 1 College Football Thread: Seven Years of College Station Down the Drain

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Aug 26, 2024.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Speaking of FBS vs FCS games that nearly went pear-shaped, MTSU needed a touchdown in the final minute to avoid being upset by former OVC rival Tennessee Tech in the little lamented Totem Bowl. TTU had an all-conference linebacker and all-conference safety injured on the game winning drive. So damn close.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

But he lost the ball when he hit the ground. He didn’t complete the catch.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

https://notoneoffbritishisms.com/2012/11/09/go-pear-shaped/

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Doomprepper ads on ABC! We made it, America!

dixiehack likes this.
  5. Twirling Time

That's unquestionably the rule in the NFL after Dez in Green Bay, but is that the rule in CFB? NFL rules do not equal CFB rules. Nor do University Interscholastic League rules in Texas, which follows NCAA rules and not national HSFB recommendations (such as a running clock after a 35-point margin.)

I'm a fan of 6-man football and once it hits 45, game over. Would like to see the same for crowded-field football.

6. dixiehack

I think that’s half the reason those people get so angry. Every time their candidate loses the election they force themselves to eat the six months of K rations they dropped $1000 on because the man on TV said to do it.

I Should Coco and Hermes like this.
  7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

2000 was the Year of the Powdered Potato Soup in my childhood household.

dixiehack likes this.
  8. dixiehack

Until mom banned him, my dad took outsized pleasure in shopping at Institutional Wholesalers, the same outfit that supplied my school cafeteria. So he would come home with things like a No. 10 can of tapioca pudding and then be miffed that he was the only one eating it.

2muchcoffeeman and Hermes like this.
  9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

As a fat kid, I would’ve eaten the shit out of a giant can of bad, tinny tapioca pudding.

Bad pudding needs to be spooned into a weird paper cup for the full effect, however.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And I quote …

• If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent) he must maintain complete and continuous control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, whether in the field of play or in the end zone. This is also required for a player attempting to make a catch at the sideline and going to the ground out of bounds. If he loses control of the ball which then touches the ground before he regains control, it is not a catch. If he regains control inbounds prior to the ball touching the ground it is a catch.

MileHigh likes this.
  11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I need proof Ben is alive.

12. Twirling Time

So what's the football move? That's the apparent difference between NFL and NCAA definitions.

Draft saved Draft deleted