1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running tennis thread 2024

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by da man, Jan 2, 2024.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Here are those numbers from the match. Gauff had more double faults (19) than winners (14). She got 46% of her first serves in. She finished with 60 unforced errors in three sets (that includes the 19 doubles).

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Nice win last night for Tiafoe, who I think has a real chance to get to the final. I’ve never been a big believer in him, but he’s a different player in New York. The crowds love him and he feeds off that better than anyone. I’m certainly not predicting him to beat Dimitrov and the Zverev-Fritz winner, but I wouldn’t be shocked if he did.

In the women’s bracket, Zheng looked really strong last night in taking out Vekic. I know Sabalenka crushed her in the Aussie final, but she’s going to be a lot tougher out in the quarters here.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Brad Gilbert won't be coaching her by the time the next GS comes around.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Gauff’s 2nd serve has got to be fixed; that ball toss is way too low at contact. What’s hard to believe is Gauff has a fantastic overhead, why can’t she develop a reliable kick serve?

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I think I’ve shared before but it was exactly at this time in the tourney on a hot summer night match at the US Open that I saw a young robot smoking topspin backhand passing shots past McEnroe at the net on TV. McEnroe won but I said “who’s this guy Lendl??”

Webster and da man like this.
  6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Navarro into the semis with a straight-sets win over Paula Badosa. According to the live rankings, next week she'll move into the top 10 for the first time -- currently at No. 8, but possibly 7 if she gets to the final and Zheng loses to Sabalenka tonight.

BTW, live rankings show Gauff dropping to sixth (since she had so many points to defend as last year's Open champion), which will make Pegula the top-ranked American woman once again at No. 5.

Edit: I haven't watched the Navarro-Badosa match yet, but Navarro was down 1-5 in the second set, then won the next six games to claim the victory.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2024
  7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Good one going on the men's side. Taylor Fritz took the first set against Zverev in a tiebreak. They're on serve in the second.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I never thought Fritz had enough weapons to challenge the top players but he's finding stuff and he could win this thing.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Fritz in four.

That was some pretty good stuff.

Webster likes this.
  10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Very good match -- a tight one with high-level play.

Huge win for Fritz. His first major semi and the Americans stay alive.

Tiafoe with a chance tonight to make it an all-American semifinal.

That said, the Sinner-Medvedev winner will be a big favorite to win the whole thing.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

F**king DirectTV-Disney dispute so I'm shut out of the tennis right now, can't even stream on ESPN because that's dependent on my TV subscription. I'm getting pissed. No good alternatives either, if I go Dish, I lose the regional sports network (Warriors/Giants), and Comcast/Xfinity's DVR plan stinks.

12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I take it that's a good recipe? They got flogged so much on TV that I have wondered if it's worth the hype.

I realized last night that I am now older than "old" Jimmy Connors was in 1991 (he was 39) and I want to die.

Draft saved Draft deleted