1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 1 College Football Thread: Seven Years of College Station Down the Drain

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Aug 26, 2024.

1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

... sending student videographers up in a scissor lift in high winds.

garrow, dixiehack, HanSenSE and 2 others like this.
  2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Billy Napier blames Gator fans posting on social media from their basements in rural central Florida.

That's fine, except I've never seen a Florida house with a basement because most of the state is about 10 feet above sea level. If you even try to dig a hole for a swimming pool, it fills up with water.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I wonder how swimming pools work in Florida then. My aunt and uncle had one in their back yard in Fort Lauderdale. Guess they have to be watertight both inside and out.

maumann likes this.
  4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Florida averages about 100 feet above sea level, with a maximum of 330 feet. I'm 69 feet above sea level in Central Florida. Gainesville is 117 feet, Orlando 82. Fort Lauderdale averages nine feet.

maumann likes this.
  5. maumann

Yep, especially along either coast. Usually the pool company builds a watertight barrier to allow them to do the framing and shoot the gunite or shotcrete into the form. That has to dry slowly or it'll crack. So it's a tricky process, according to the guy who lives in our RV park. Not a real DIY kind of thing.

And yep, pools will sometimes pop out of the ground if the water pressure on the outside is greater than on the inside.

Hermes likes this.
  6. maumann

A little exaggeration on my part. But yes, a large portion of the population lives within 10 miles of either coast, which isn't very high. There are ancient coastline drop offs of between five and 10 feet inland from the Intracoastal Waterway parallel to the coast.

As a kid, I loved to ride my Schwinn Stingray down that "massive hill" in Boca Raton. I could coast all the way on Palmetto Park Road to almost Dixie Highway without pedaling!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2024
  7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I have a strange fascination with "Zombie House Flipping", so this discussion of Florida pools is very interesting.

part-timer and maumann like this.
  8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

May be a very VERY long year in the Ville.
    Vs Sanford
    Vs AtM
    @ Miss St
    Vs UCF
    @ Tenn
    Vs UK
    vs Georgia (Jax)
    @ Tex
    Vs LSU
    Vs Ole Miss
    @ FSU

I know they have a moderate leash there, but is 3-9 enough to get someone fired there?

maumann likes this.
  9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Sissy bar, or no?

10. maumann

Electric blue, baby! Banana seat and high handlebars but regular mounting, sad to say. However, I did take the rear fender off (or perhaps it just rusted away) by the time I reached junior high. Graduated up to a boring brown Varsity 10-speed by ninth grade.

That thing would have made an excellent BMX bike.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

My $101.95 Apple Krate ($792 in today's prices) seems to be in short supply online, but there is an Orange Krate for a decent price. Orange suits me better, anyway. :)

Screenshot 2024-09-02 at 7.36.08 PM.png

maumann likes this.
  12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Three wins against that slate with that team is bordering on loaves and fishes territory.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted