1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Eva Longoria will never speak to you again.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd be interested in finding out the degrees of "polarization" in leading Western economies compared to other countries. It seems fairly obvious that there are foreign actors (likely state sponsored) using our freedom of speech to create disunity, chaos and uncertainty via social media. Of course, it helps when you have really dumb people willing to take the bait.

3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I wonder what the impact (if any) the Twitter ban will have on the Brazil NFL game on Friday. Guessing it would normally big a high volume event.

4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Speaking of Eva Longoria (mainly because I’d rather not speak of X due to the whorish feeling I get even reading a shared Tweet), she’s in an Apple bilingual six-episode series about a wild escape from mob thugs to a tiny Spanish village. It’s a fairly predictable waste of about six hours.

5. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Eva Longoria > Journey

I Should Coco likes this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Before Durov’s arrest, a Telegram spokesperson responded to questions from ProPublica and FRONTLINE in messages on the platform. The spokesperson said that the company bars users from calling for acts of violence, adding that moderators remove millions of pieces of harmful content from the platform every day. “As Telegram grows, it will continue to solve potential moderation problems with efficiency, innovation and respect for privacy and free speech,” the spokesperson, who used the name Remi Vaughn, said in the messages.

This goes back to the discussion last week.

If you're monetizing content by selling advertising around it, and moderating content, that sounds a lot like "publishing" to me.

I understand some of this is generational, and native digital speakers believe in an unmediated internet.

But as often as it's thrown around in defense of itself, the word "platform" doesn't inoculate the user against every charge of abuse, either.

wicked likes this.
  7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

The amount of hemming and hawing from people like Clay Travis and other NFL people who are too online was both self-serving and pathetic. If they're worried about social media engagement, the NFL and team interns were almost certainly never getting on the plane to begin with, and all the TV reporters and such can do the same thing off the TV broadcast. And the beat writers in Sao Paolo will probably appreciate having one less thing to do.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Did Twitter just eliminate lists? My list isn't working, and the link to lists seems to have disappeared from the main page.

EDIT: Looks like Twitter is just not working. And the "lists" link is there, but under "more" on the page.

9. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Matt Schneidman, The Athletic’s Packers reporter, mentioned in his radio spot today he won’t be doing any tweeting while in Brazil, and only posting to a live game blog. Apparently there are hefty fines if you use a VPN workaround.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Lists were down for me as well but are back now

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I won't say I don't post on X on occasion. But if it were to go away tonight, I would lose no sleep.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I've been officially a member of twooter for 16 years, signing up under direct orders from our ME of the time. We were ordered to "drive engagement" and tweet a minimum of once an hour on work days and "as much as we wanted to" on off days.

Our Guild local got a ruling we should not be compelled to use personal online accounts for work purposes, so we each signed up for usernames at work. I dutifully if not enthusiastically tweeted for a week or so, then the honchos forgot about it, and my tweet handle at work went into a coma never to be roused again.

My personal account -- I may have tweeted 24 times in those 16 years. I don't think I've issued an active tweet in five years. I only keep the account so I can open and read occasional extended threads.

So as far as I'm concerned Elmo can go down the toilet.

Draft saved Draft deleted