1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Holmes is the Armando Benitez of Calvin Schiraldis.

He’s fine if he goes 1-2-3. Someone gets on base, and he falls apart.

jr/shotglass and maumann like this.
  2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Oh, there's another ex-closer who fits that definition perfectly -- Craig Kimbrel.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

At least Kimbrel had a long previous record of dominance, even though he’s washed up now. I keep having Ray Handley replacing Bill Parcells vibes every time I see Holmes on the mound.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Schwarber three HRs yesterday and leads off w/one today. That follows none since Aug. 14.

5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Schwarber is one of those players who hits at least one home run every time I watch him play. Based on me just watching him, he should have 162 home runs a season.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

First Phillies game I attended in person in over a decade this July, he hit two.

melock and Hermes like this.
  7. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

The White Sox are 5-45 in their last 50 games. Hard to find that across any 50-game swath in baseball history.

Liut likes this.
  8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You have to be right. From the day their record 23-game losing streak began until 50 games later, the '61 Phillies managed to go 14-36.

Octave likes this.
  9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

There's an A's team in the early 20s that had a 2-41 stretch.

Octave likes this.
  10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Houston left Spencer Arrighetti in long enough to allow 9 runs in 2/3 of an inning. It's gotta be the worst starting pitching line of the season.

upload_2024-9-4_16-34-33.png

11. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Leas than a week after carrying a no-hitter into the eighth against the Phillies.

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I haven't seen the clip yet but apparently Jeremy Pena made an error that was generously ruled a hit and would have ended the inning at 3-0

Draft saved Draft deleted