1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WNBA thread… 28.5 ain’t your pay cut

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, Apr 15, 2024.

Tags:
  1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Because she went to nowheresville and took them to the summit.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Steph Curry might have been one of the best things to happen to women’s hoops, in that he made long distance 3-pointers a true weapon and not just novelty. Suddenly those shots became as cool as dunks, and opened up the floor for more creative play. While only a tiny number of women’s players can slam dunk, pulling up from the logo successfully is within reach for many more. Clark brought the buzz, but the game had evolved over the last decade or so that when the buzz arrived it could meet the moment and bring people back for more.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Took them to almost the summit.
    And she went to a Big Ten school that has won more than two-thirds of its games, 10 regular-season conference titles, six tournament conference titles and had a Hall of Fame coach (C. Vivian Stringer) for 12 years. Sounds pretty somewheresville.

franticscribe likes this.
  4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don't think it's race; if that were the case, Stewart, Plum and Ionescu would have generated a greater level of excitement.

I think it's more the way she plays, who she played for, that she talks trash and plays to the crowd, the 2023 title game, and, this year, Fox putting on her national TV over and over again.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Stringer left Iowa in 1995. It had missed the NCAAs in three of the five seasons before Clark. It was a consistent first- or second-round NCAA loser under Bluder before Clark. Iowa was no longer a major player.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I absolutely think it’s because of her race.

I have seen a ton of clueless white people become basketball “fans” in the last few months. And they all talk about how great the league would be if the lesbo savages would only let Clark save it.

TigerVols likes this.
  7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Not to the casual fan. They know UConn, Tennessee, maybe South Carolina, Stanford.

Iowa didn't get the national headlines til Caitlin went there.

Plus she's as advertised, lives up to the hype.

If she went to the blue bloods, she's another Paige Bueckers.

She disrupted all that.

Alma likes this.
  8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

While you all are arguing her status, Clark is currently playing her best WNBA game ever

franticscribe and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  10. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

she’s going to miss the triple double…but she played great tonight.

edit: spoke to soon.

11. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

She got the 10th board on the final play of the game - and it wasn't forced by the Fever to get her there. Pretty cool to see, especially with the crowd reaction.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  12. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think I posted when she had nine and nine and there was a minute left. That was incredible. According to social media, she’s now one of six players in wnba history with two or more triple doubles.

franticscribe likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted