1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WNBA thread… 28.5 ain’t your pay cut

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, Apr 15, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

7 turnovers. She sucks. /s

sgreenwell and Gutter like this.
  2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

At what point does the MVP talk pick up steam?

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

When A'ja Wilson retires?

4. Della9250

Vegas in fourth and worse record than last year. Fever best year in ever only four games separate them

Wilson already won it twice. Stewart has won it twice.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

So?

It's A'ja Wilson. It's not close.

I Should Coco likes this.
  6. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Depends how people want to define "valuable."

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Yes. Both the league MVP and Rookie of the Year should be locks. And no, not the same person!

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

People complicate this.

9. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Normally, yes, and this is beyond normal. Someone's going to take off-court stuff (ticket sales, merch sales, etc.) and factor it in.
    She's not the MVP. She's probably in the top 3 and her day will come. But it shouldn't be now.

franticscribe and JC like this.
  10. Della9250

I'm not saying Wilson isn't the best player -- I'm just saying that she has won it twice in the last four years and her team has gone from 32-6 to 21-12 so far while Clark joined a team that had won 18 games the previous two seasons combined and they are 18-16 so far.

Seven of their top eight in minutes returned from a 13-27 team, so essentially it's the same team.

They have six games left, so lets say they split and are 21-19. Is an eight-win improvement in a 40-game schedule that big because of one player enough to say they are the MVP?

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

No, because it's a reflection of the roster she came in on - they had tons of room to improve. If you put Wilson on Indiana, I imagine they improve even more than eight games, assuming that you balance the roster appropriately.

JC and franticscribe like this.
  12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The Fever's roster really isn't all that dreadful. They've had tons of high draft picks the past few years, some of whom (finally) are showing some spark.

Clark has had two very good games in a row (28-4-12 and 24-10-10 . . . 14 total turnovers, BTW).

And maybe they weren't the best games on her team either time.
    Kelsey Mitchell was 36-6-3 (5-7 from 3, 1 TO) on Sunday, and Aliya Boston was 24-14-4 (10-16 FG) last night. Boston is only five weeks older than Clark.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2024
    franticscribe likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted