1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

At the Oktoberfest in Munich, one learns early, then often, why lederhosen are made of leather.

Hermes likes this.
  2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I had a friend in college who told me his grandmother would say "peanuts bind you up." Rice is another good option.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I have only anecdotal evidence to report on the economy, but:

I got a 7% raise this year for my summer seasonal job. Very fair. With that job, my SSI and a monthly annuity I've started taking, I'm making more money now than when I was working full-time, with a smaller tax burden.

My IRA account has done extremely well this year. So has my family trust account.

Micro Jr. just got a new public-sector job with the state of Colorado, with a 30% raise.

My younger brother is a contractor in Putnam/Westchester counties in New York. He's turning away business.

His son (my nephew) works in the submarine business in the Groton/New London area in Connecticut. He and his wife just bought land in Stonington and are building a house. His daughter (my niece) and husband just moved from Denver and bought a house in Fair Haven, N.J., an area I am not familiar with but I'm told it's not cheap.

I realize that not all stories are alike. Not everyone is as fortunate as my family seems to be, and I am thankful every single day. But the economy isn't all the "American carnage" one party is pretending it is.

I also thank my Depression-era parents for teaching all three of their children the value of money. Be frugal, not cheap. My wife (another product of Depression-era parents) and I have always been savers.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2024
  4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I tried reading that yesterday and found it to be as poorly written as a blog post. I think she must’ve been paid by the word, with a bonus every time she could use the word I.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Fair Haven's a shore town on the Navesink and next to Springsteen in Rumson, so yeah $$$.

Also, buildsubmarines.com. Apparently Electric Boat is short a few warm bodies.

micropolitan guy likes this.
  6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

My nephew has a classification clearance, not sure how high, but there are a lot of things we ask him about his job that he can't talk about. Not even to his parents or wife. So of course we try to weasel everything we can from him every time our families get together.

7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I will spare the details, but I am right there with you. I've got no complaints. I will be 53 at the end of this month, and Thursday I was told by our broker I could retire at any time, not work at all, and my wife and I could continue to live the lives we live on what we have. My plan was to wrap up my career in May; now December is looking pretty good. When I told the broker I would find something to do for the next 7-8 years, he said by all means go. None of this has anything to do with me - well, that's not right, I was smart enough to jump off the newspaper Titanic at age 40, get my masters degree and a paying job - as much as it does my wife is a super investor with our money, and live a pretty low-key life.
    As long as I've got money for bait, tackle, beer, pork rinds, and maybe a couple of new shotguns here and there #crossthread, I'm good.

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

"Cheese choke your booty."

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And also gummy bears.

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Cheese is a binder, and I don't mean in a Trapper Keeper 2000 sort of way.

garrow likes this.
  12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I remember when there were all the stand-up shows on basic cable it seemed like every black comedian had a joke about government cheese and its effects on their bowel system.

Draft saved Draft deleted