1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running tennis thread 2024

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by da man, Jan 2, 2024.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Wow, 2 & 4 and into the semis. Good for Jessica P.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Was about to post about him. Legit dude.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Four Americans in the semis. Who’da thunk it?

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Medvedev looks lost early.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

As my ancestors in my native Brooklyn would say, the woim has toined.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2024
  6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I expected fireworks and drama from last night's match, but was underwhelmed. Sinner was pretty solid with the notable exception of the second set. Medvedev was sloppy throughout, finishing with 57 unforced errors, including six double faults. That's way too many points to give away if you want to beat a player as strong as Sinner. Medvedev had all sorts of chances that got away because he let routine shots get away from him.

Afterward he said, "I kind of got lost in my misses," and noted he was very confident coming into the match, perhaps too much so. "So maybe today I was going for a little bit more risky shots, I was missing just a bit more.

“When I was missing, I didn't feel why I was missing, so I couldn't correct it, and then I got super tight at the end, and it was even tougher. Not an easy feeling, not happy with myself, but that's tennis, it's okay. I lost. I go home.”

That leaves Sinner as the clear favorite to win the title. I'd love to see Draper give him a real test in the semis, but I'm not betting the ranch on it.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

BTW, it's been a nice couple of weeks for Taylor Townsend, one of my favorite players. First of all, she got a win in singles before losing to Badosa in the second round. But she also advanced to the semis in doubles with Katerina Siniakova -- losing a tight three-setter -- and today will play for the mixed doubles championship with Donald Young against Sara Errani and Andrea Vavassori.

qtlaw likes this.
  8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Sinner v an American in finals in NYC is going to be epic. Unfortunately it’s NFL Sunday.

da man likes this.
  9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Unless Sinner steamrolls him.

That reminds me: Maybe the most disappointing thing about last night is the crowd never really got into the match. Only near the end of the fourth set did it show a decent amount of enthusiasm. Actually, that's one way you could tell Medvedev was out of sorts -- he didn't play to the crowd at all until he held in the next-to-last game of the match.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I had little to no interest in Sinner-Medvedev. Can't tell you why.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I mean, they played two outstanding five-set matches this year in Aussie final and at Wimbledon, and it was likely the de facto championship match. But this one was decidedly less than classic.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The ESPN announcers rooting for Navarro is kind of embarrassing.

Draft saved Draft deleted