1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wild night for Alabama preps

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Aug 26, 2023.

1. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Our local high school team has a photographer who has been shooting games for years. He’s in his 80s. During a road game last year, he got tricked on the sideline and taken away in an ambulance. I saw him at the grocery store a couple of months later and he was still in a wheelchair.

He should not have been on the sidelines at his age.

maumann likes this.
  2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

A game in a suburd of Boston was cancelled because of rumors of a kid threatening to shoot up the fans.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'd hate to be the heavy in this situation, but somebody should write or email the principal of the school involved and bring up the point of the school's liability if an elderly person with impaired mobility is injured in a sideline injury of this type. I would think it would be considerable.

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. justgladtobehere

Most government entities have very limited liability. Plus, the legal argument of a person putting himself in that position.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Went through a metal detector to get into the stadium for my game this afternoon in "Venezuelan-gang-infected Aurora."

matt_garth and maumann like this.
  6. justgladtobehere

I'm watching Pluto and stumble upon some Sacramento station's Sunday night sports show.

Not only do they have highlights of a week 3 high school football game, they had a segment interviewing a coach and three players. That station spent more time on high school football in one night than Boston stations combined will spend this year.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Batman likes this.
  8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

This Gettysburg-area HS program should have gotten into a co-op years ago. They forfeited the final five games yesterday when they realized they had just nine healthy bodies available.

Fairfield opened against defending state small-school champ Steelton-Highspire. Steel-High lost almost all its skill players from last year, including Navy's future QB. The first-quarter score this time around:

Steel-High 56, Fairfield 0.

The photo here is a perfect reflection of the season -- an offensive lineman (No. 71 helmet) shifted to running back when the top RB shredded an ACL (thus No. 17 jersey), and he wound up throwing passes.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Game tonight between Salinas Palma and Soquel has been shifted from a 7:30 kickoff to 6 pm, because it's Soquel's homecoming and they want to start the dance earlier.

Unfortunately, not the game I was assigned to.

Batman likes this.
  10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The homecoming game I covered last week did the ceremonies before kickoff instead of at halftime. I wanted to buy a steak for whoever made that decision.

dixiehack, MileHigh and HanSenSE like this.
  11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

In Texas every halftime is 28 minutes. That's enough time to leave the stadium and hit Whataburger if the press box spread is lacking.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That is ridiculous. Not even NCAA is that long and I know Texas uses modified NCAA rules.

Draft saved Draft deleted