1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Mar 16, 2024.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I sure hope you flew! The drive from Down East on I-40 is a lot longer and more tedious than it looks on a map. It's 420 miles from Wilmington to the Tennessee border. Hayesville and Murphy -- in the extreme southwestern corner of the state -- are actually northwest of my cabin in Georgia, but only about an hour away. I have to drive east to get to South Carolina.

Liut likes this.
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

410 miles door to door from my place in Tenn. to my place in NC. I can make it in 6:20 when traveling by myself because I stop once. Wife and/or mom will push it to 6:45-7:00.
    I'm only on 40 between Asheville and Hickory. I drop down to Charlotte then pick up 74.

Even if I went 40 for some reason, I'd cut off at Greensboro and go down the Sanford, Bowies Creek, and Dunn, then pick it back up again. I haven't been through Raleigh in a decade.

Liut and maumann like this.
  3. Driftwood

Oh, and to add to the circuit, my wife is refereeing tonight in Kentucky and has matches tomorrow in Virginia.

Yeah, there is a reason we decided at the get-go not to have children or pets.

swingline, Liut and maumann like this.
  4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

That is so cool ... the officiating part. Did not know that!

Driftwood likes this.
  5. Driftwood

Yeah, wife has been a college and high school volleyball and basketball official for 20 years (after 15 years as a college head basketball coach at three universities) on top of being Dr. Driftwood university professor/dean.
    She's done everything from some of the biggest D1 programs you can name to lower division national championship games in places like Minnesota and Kansas.

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

New invest in the Bay of Campeche bears watching for us Gulf Coasters.

Google Maps

7. Driftwood

Predicting a hurricane making landfall Wednesday afternoon at the Texas/Louisiana state line.

8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Oh, boy. Lake Charles took a 1-2 punch four years ago. That's about where the models having it coming in.

9. Driftwood

Holy cow, finished my tour of the southeast.

Two days, four states, nearly 1,000 miles, 4 1/2 hours of sleep, and a college football game in the middle of it.

maumann and Neutral Corner like this.
  10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Tampico, hello!

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I lived about an hour north of Lake Charles for a couple of years. It is still in really bad shape.

maumann likes this.
  12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Buenos dias. You're on the Lorenzo Rey Programa!

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted