1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I voted for Gary Johnson as a grown-ass thirtysomething.

In my defense, that was before he got so stoned he forgot what Syria was.

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Among my votes for President, Perot in ’92 is not the one about which I’m most embarrassed. (That would be W in ’04).

franticscribe likes this.
  3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I voted for Alan Keyes in a presidential primary.

As the prison sign says at the end of Blues Brothers “It’s Never Too Late to Mend.”

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

He didn't drive a dead bear halfway across New York though.

One thing that will be at play is how restrictive some states will be with voting. Without COVID, a lot of people who couldn't/don't go to the polls actually voted. I even heard Hannity telling voters that they should vote early if they could. One of his callers didn't know if he could trust the post office with his ballot, Hannity told him to deliver it himself to the elections office.
    And yet a lot of these righty voters have no problem filling out a ballot in a public school or other "pinko" location and handing it over to a random stranger. Weird.

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I was 27 at the time and voted for Mondale. I don't think that was a bad vote. We can argue about Reagan's second term legacy but I don't think Mondale would have been a bad President.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2024
  6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

He would have at least been a coherent one.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

He would have been bad for the Space Shuttle (and probably any other aviation endeavors).

8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Reagan’s second term wasn’t great for space shuttles, either.

See everbody in hell!

Fred siegle, maumann, UPChip and 5 others like this.
  9. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I'm again nervous for tonight's debate. Certainly, I hate Trump, and no matter what he does or says, the cult will pontificate that he was great and some poor headlines will be written and there will be frustrating bothersider-ism. And Trump has done a lot of these now, and he'll probably perform better than what he does at his rallies, which will make him seem less fucking insane.

But that is what it is. One thing about the recent NYT poll was that voters know exactly who Trump is, that there isn't anything more to learn about him.

For Harris, tonight could potentially be monumental in both directions. I don't know that Trump can pick up that many more votes tonight. Hell, maybe he can, but whatever. Or maybe he would if Harris gave a poor performance.

But I imagine this is as good of an opportunity Harris can have in one timeframe to make enough people in the right states who might matter say, "OK, I can vote for her." I would think going into tonight she could bring more moveable potential voters into her camp than he does.

And that means tonight, whether it's for the subset of political junkies who will watch the debate and the subsequent talking heads after plus those who just read headlines and have morning news on in the background, might be the biggest single evening of this election.

The last debate certainly was.

So, yeah, I'm nervous.

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Harris is expected to be both wonky and folksy, tough but demure, can't laugh too much or not enough, and has to walk the Gaza tightrope.

Trump has to literally not drop his pants and take a shit on the stage.

Those are the expectations and standards the national political media has set.

SFIND, maumann, Slacker and 5 others like this.
  11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

12. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

If Donald Trump dropped an n-bomb on stage tonight, does anyone believe this would seriously harm his position among his own voters?

Draft saved Draft deleted