1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Hopeful but anxious is about right. And we're just hoping the reinforcements come in a couple of weeks because this team as presently constituted is going to have little more than a cup of coffee in the postseason. I believe the American League is a true crapshoot and any of the six teams that make it can get through. Every one of them has significant flaws but has shown flashes of brilliance. I'm thankful that the Orioles banked a bunch of wins early, otherwise I'd be in the dumps because the team has been just staggeringly mediocre since mid-June. But that's why the whole season matters. Just limping to the finish line, hoping to get a few pitchers and a big-time bat in Westburg back in time for the real show.

tapintoamerica and maumann like this.
  2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Gary Cohen while reading the out-of-town scores: "Because of the absolute ineptitude of everyone in the race, the Tigers are in it!" Do you want me to get a P.O. Box address where you can send a strongly worded letter to Mr. Cohen, @maumann? :D

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

He’s right.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Tigers beat Colorado 11-0 behind a complete game 3 hit shutout by Keider Montero.

maumann likes this.
  5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

He faced the minimum 27 batters because of three double plays.

6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

"That's a perfect game."--Armando Galarraga #TooSoon?

Songbird, Baron Scicluna and maumann like this.
  7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Galarraga says he’s one out short of a prefect game

8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

HA! Honestly, he's not wrong. This is sheer madness but I'll ride the bandwagon until the wheels come off. With six games remaining against the Orioles and three against the Royals, Cinderella's carriage ride is about over. Or they'll waltz into the final week as the most unlikely playoff outsider.

Montero was at High A West Michigan 12 months ago. The oldest "regular" in the lineup is 27 year old Matt Vierling. Six guys in tonight's lineup were hurt or in AAA as of the trade deadline. The rest of the rotation is Skubal, a couple of career AAAA guys and two "openers."

Manager Hinch and pitching coach Fetter have voodoo dolls and magic beans working overtime.

Liut likes this.
  9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

You gotta believe

maumann likes this.
  10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Every time we give up, the Orioles win and the Yankees lose, so there's that. Seranthony did his job in the 9th.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  11. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

And somehow the Guardos, who lost another starting pitcher tonight when Lively got drilled in the leg by a line drive and had to be helped off, are still tied for the best record in the AL.

12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

At this rate, the Guardians are going to have to sign a guy to pitch Game 1 of the ALDS.

Draft saved Draft deleted