1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

So according to Hat Man and Ted Cruz you win a debate by misrepresenting how the other person voted?

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

oh for fuck's sake

3. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I sure hope you're right. He was funny (if you didn't, you know, care about what happened) and original eight years ago. He turned it even more into a TV show. He maximized Twitter to pull an end-around on traditional media. We're never gonna undo how the presidential election has been turned into just another sporting event on TV, but he's like most TV shows and it's just grown tired and stale after season eight or nine.

I think the most interesting thing Kamala has done is modernize his social media approach in 2016. He Tweeted his way to victory in 2016 and they're going to try to meme their way to victory in 2024. They're funny and biting on social media and have realized that making fun of the bully makes him smaller. Is it great for the discourse? No, but a media that's been impossibly slow to deviate from both sides-ism b/c it fell in love with Trump and the eyeballs he brought is to blame for that. If Kamala wins, there will be a Republican candidate in 2028 or 2032 who further figures out a way to drill down on social media and deliver their message in an even smaller bite-sized manner. These things are cyclical. Hopefully this one works out this cycle.

UNCGrad likes this.
  4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

In 1987, I coached a basketball team that beat another team that won some national championship tournament for 14 year old girls in Knoxville, Tennessee. When do I get inducted in Springfield??

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Last night also showed why Lester Holt would have wiped the floor with David Muir if he was running the show. Holt is a serious man with life perspective. Muir is just a serious man.

MileHigh and Liut like this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The funny thing is about last night - I don't think Trump was any different from the way he was in the debate against Biden, (a debate where he and his folks thought the moderators did "great"), but all of the post-debate talk was about Biden's performance.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if the fake Ohio story was planted by a Dem operative ahead of the debate knowing it would be catnip to righties?

garrow and TowelWaver like this.
  7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Trump, while complaining about how mean the moderators were to him:

They kept correcting me, and what I said was largely right, or at least I hope it was right.

8. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Absolutely. It's not any different than Bill Clinton doing town halls on MTV or going on Arsenio.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

And I think the best way to accomplish this is to keep showing that one of these people is bad to their core, and one truly wants to improve the country. The bigger a fake smile she can paint on when he's around, the better.

Vive le difference.

You don't reach a state of civility without taking the first steps toward civility.

HanSenSE and John like this.
  10. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Let's put it this way, towards the end, the female anchor said, paraphrasing, "And now let's turn to race in America," and I said to the room, "Wouldn't bet against him using the N word."

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I thought that was a big part of why the Harris campaign wanted the mics open all the time. To catch him muttering the worst of the worst words.

12. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

A friend said to me last night that Taylor's endorsement might be the Arsenio moment of this election. Let's hope so.

garrow, TowelWaver and UNCGrad like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted