1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

$3.54 here today.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I went back to Ohio
    Cause my budget was gone

The nation’s last refuge for affordable homes is in Northeast Ohio • Alabama Reflector

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I continue to be shocked that the most expensive housing in the United States is in places people want to live in, and that the least expensive housing in the United States is in places most Americans wouldn't live if you fronted them the downpayment.

If only realtors could come up with a snappy three-word slogan for this phenomenon.

I Should Coco and dixiehack like this.
  4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I could probably supply one of those words!

micropolitan guy likes this.
  5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I continue to chuckle that a generation that can’t afford to retire will choose creature comforts over being able to own a home.

Their loss. I’m 40 and just paid off my mortgage.

Have fun in your rental at age 60!

micropolitan guy likes this.
  6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

It’s funny … as I have been traveling over the past six days I have overheard retirement age couples or individuals discussing the outrageous cost of housing. Three different racial groups, too: Black, Latino and white.

And all of them quickly went from “it’s brutal for young people starting out in the housing market” to blaming them for spending obscene amounts on weddings.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2.49 at Buc-ees yesterday. Note that I drive a couple of exits out of my way to get there, because no one in town will be lower.

Inky_Wretch and Driftwood like this.
  8. Neutral Corner

If our house wasn't paid for I'd be looking for a refrigerator box.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Nearest Buc-ees to me is 30 miles away. Though I'll be driving past it on Sunday, so we'll see what they've got.

10. Neutral Corner

I'm certain that a lot of it is regional. We're a lot closer to refineries in East Texas and Louisiana.

11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

This past weekend, I traveled in four southern states. All gas was between 2.99 and 2.49.

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Get the carwash, which is excellent, and the per-gallon price is something like 70 cents cheaper. I'm guessing Buc'ees is making money somehow with the difference but if nothing else you get the feel-good of cheaper gas and a shiny hoopty to wheel around.

2muchcoffeeman and Inky_Wretch like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted