1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS leagues expanding - yeah?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The 16-team WAC a quarter-century ago warned us of how unstable these super conferences can be. These 20-team conferences have money which is the glue, but will that be strong enough when the grass is greener?

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Oregon State
    Washington State
    Boise State
    San Diego State
    Fresno State
    Colorado State
    UNLV
    Nevada
    UTEP
    UTSA

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

maumann likes this.
  4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Six isn't enough to be an NCAA-recognized conference in 2025-26; they need eight. I have heard they are applying for a one-year waiver in enforcing the rule, through 2026-27.

Perhaps Pac-12 money will be used to help offset the buyouts these four will have to pay, and the next 2-3 to join, possibly from the rest of the MWC, will have to pay their own way in. I can really see Wyoming and even UNLV ponying up the money so as not to be left behind.

I believe the MWC's TV deal with CBSSN expires after this season.

Either way, as a fan of one of the involved schools I'm OK with it and glad there is finally some movement. No way could OSU/WSU survive long-term without being in their own football conference. The Big 12 was never going to come calling and sometimes you just have to face facts and make the best of what you can make the best of.

MileHigh likes this.
  5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I think Stanford will definitely tire of the ACC in a hurry, but I don't see them aligning themselves with an Island of Misfit Toys Pac Conference.

6. micropolitan guy

No but I can see Cal coming back. Stanford athletics have enough money to go independent. Cal athletics are flat-ass broke.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  7. micropolitan guy

9380gy.jpg

Gotta stay current.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Don't sleep on Texas State, especially if GJ Kinne sticks around a few years. Those Dillos can drive deep.

9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Should I report that last sentence?

HanSenSE and franticscribe like this.
  10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I don't see UTSA going. If they were still in C-USA, sure, but I doubt the new Pac gets a TV deal much better than the AAC's.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Like Florida State, I believe Cal and Stanford are locked into the ACC until the grant of rights expire in summer 2036.

franticscribe and HanSenSE like this.
  12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It took years for the alma mater to convince Stanford taking the 30-minute drive every now and then to San Jose State for football was a good thing. So I can see some feathers being ruffled over trips to Boise and Fresno. Yet that's the reality of college football nowadays.

Stanford as an indie? I think we just saw how well that worked out for BYU, which has a deeper fan and financial base. And as odd as it feels to have the Apple Cup and whatever Oregon-Oregon State is called now in September, don't know if I can see the same for Big Game, especially with Stanford students just settling in for the quarter about now.@

EDIT: Posted as @MileHigh was making the post above. Yup, it'll be all about the Benjamins ultimately.

I Should Coco, maumann and MileHigh like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted