1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

"Just about half of Swift fans make under $50,000, while 25% make between $50,000 and $100,000, and the other quarter make $100,000 or more."

https://www.businessinsider.com/taylor-swift-swifties-white-millennial-suburban-democrat-50k-eras-tour-2023-11

Deskgrunt50 and Woody Long like this.
  2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Oops. Another failed talking point from SJ's own Jim Cramer.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Right after going in the diners, they go to the makeup counter at Sephora to speak with the wealthy Taylor Swift fans.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

6. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

That’s my daughter, Taylor and Sephora.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Alma, have you met Beau?

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Ding, ding, ding

She even says in her post that the AI image got her concerned and that the best way to combat that stuff is to be transparent about what she is doing and let those facts crowd out the made-up BS.

I don’t think the Michael Jordan say-nothing approach works for famous people any more, because there are bad actors who will happily fill that gap using your name and photos with ever-improving tech. Even if your intention is to stay neutral, I think you have to actively and repeatedly communicate that now.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Other demographics of self-described "avid" Swifties.

Male/Female: 48/52
    GenZ/Millennial/Gen X/Baby Boomers: 11/45/21/23
    White/Black/Asian/Other: 74/13/9/4
    Urban/Suburban/Rural: 26/53/21
    Democrat/Independent/Republican: 55/23/23

10. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

It is a big deal. Not arguing that point at all. I think dismissal is disrespect because the nature of our discourse has reached a point where women get handwaved and too many people see it as the norm and don't call it out.

There is a tipping point where anything short of worship is seen as moving in the opposite direction. We're approaching that. Swifties... The Beyhive... they will brook no criticism. Every reference that is not a glowing endorsement is met with the touchiness of a sleep-deprived thirteen0-year-old. Who does that sound like? Do we really want to adopt that reflexive response?

I've bitten my tongue about this until now. It was incredibly offensive that The Tennessee Three, who could speak on a personal and very current level about the dangers of far-right fascism got bumped at the DNC for Oprah Winfrey.

Some of us see celebrity worship as a way to avoid uncomfortable truths about what is already going on. Especially when we live in red-headed step-child states like Tennessee. We're frustrated.

You owe me a keyboard, brah.

Boring personal note that you can skip. I don't care.
    All of these years listening to my friend in hard STEM citing Bill Murray from the first Ghostbusters movie and feeling jealous and now I'm doing it.

Back off, man. I'm an anthropologist. To be more specific, I'm moving back into ethnomusicology. This is my wheelhouse.
    bill murray.jpg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2024
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

12. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

Springfield, Springfield … where did I hear something about Springfield?

Draft saved Draft deleted