1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yes, let's ignore their own self-reported income in the survey to further your narrative. Let's also ignore the possibility folks making less than $50,000 per year saw those concerts as their big vacations for the year. Or that they saved every dime they could to attend. Or even that they might have floated it on their credit cards. (Let's also ignore that $1,300 is an average which means that a whole bunch of people spent less than that amount.)

The vibe is all of Taylor's fans are wealthy progressives in Alma's eyes. So that's the truth, data be damned.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It’s more of a concept of a demographic snapshot really.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

So Gen Z is not really her fan base.

Like I said.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Once you start lying, they just let you do it.

matt_garth and HanSenSE like this.
  6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

“Teenagers don’t actually listen to Taylor Swift any more.” Not the hot take I expected to carry us through a Thursday.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I meant they just don't understand the concepts. OF COURSE hypocrisy is one of the foundations of the GOP. You forgot "activist" judges, "strict textual" readings of the Constitution, Melania taking on internet bullying as her "thing" as First Lady, the Biden impeachment effort over influence peddling, defunding the FBI, etc. etc.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I didn't write all. I wrote "most of all," the largest chunk of all, and I suspect that's correct.

Not that I think Miley Cyrus' endorsement would mean anything, either, but I'd suspect her fan demographic also leans left, but much less wealthy.

Taylor Swift is the artist for Atlantic and NYT readers. It doesn't mean she's bad - on balance, I think she's pretty good. And it doesn't mean her fans are bad people; I know and like more than a few.

These folks also like Disney. A lot. Many have been to one of the Disneys. Usually more than once.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

It's funny because we've all heard that urban myth about some Chinese restaurant at some point in our lives.

But my last year of college I worked as a bartender at a bar in Chapel Hill owned by a family that has operated a small chain of Mexican restaurants for 30 to 40 years now. The health department briefly closed their Hillsborough restaurant because one of the cooks slaughtered a goat in the kitchen afterhours and stored the carcass in the freezer. There were a couple of news stories about it, but it kind of blew over and became its own urban legend of sorts. The bar I worked at didn't last very long, but the restaurant chain is still here and the Hillsborough one made it another 20 years until the pandemic forced it to close.

In today's environment, I could easily see that being used to stoke anti-immigrant sentiment whereas back then it was just an odd story.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm sure many do. Relative to the millennial population, not as much.

This is not remotely controversial.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Team Fatfuck of course is a great authority on what all the cool kids like.

Fred siegle and OscarMadison like this.
  12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Are we all just gonna conveniently forget that Trump famously hates pets yet he's now supposed to be the Greatest American Hero of cats and dogs? FOH

garrow, HanSenSE and OscarMadison like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted