1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I read that as "The Great Escape," which would be an awesome walkup song. OK, Boomer.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Fucking Tyler O'Neill.

3. jr/shotglass

The Twins should try to reclaim any signing bonus they gave this jerkoff.

4. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

Cha-Ching!

Another brilliant move by Manfred Inc.

5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

If we somehow reverted back to the pre-1969 no division/league champion goes to the World Series, we'd have a 1967 Great Race type pennant chase in both the American and National Leagues this season. Talk about ratcheting up the excitement instead of admitting all of these teams will still be playing in October. Perhaps baseball would get a little more of the media attention if these games REALLY mattered more than setting the seedings.

Yankees 85-62, Guardians 84-63, Orioles 83-64, Royals 80-67
    Phillies 88-58, Dodgers 87-59, Brewers 84-62, Diamondbacks 82-64, Padres 82-65

While the playoffs have been around almost as long as the original 16 now, I miss the real tension of scoreboard-watching knowing only one team advances to play for the big prize.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

We'll get to the Eurosport nirvana of corporate sponsors taking over the front of the jerseys within five years.

7. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

8. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

You don't GET IT, man. The excitement generated by people watching the races for the sixth seed more than makes up for the abject mediocrity of the playoff field! #ManfredSpin

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Crash Davis?

HanSenSE and dixiehack like this.
  10. jr/shotglass

They were out of the pennant race. ;)

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Could go in either thread I suppose.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Even though I root for a team that has benefited mightily from the new setup, in general except for the Phillies my interest in baseball declines greatly once the regular season ends, because the playoffs, while they can be amazing, depend completely on their emotional intensity generated by their basic unfairness. They are a different sport. If you're not a fan of one of the teams, it's not such a great sport. I didn't watch a pitch of last year's Series, and that's not just sour grapes. I've missed more than a couple Series in the last decade.

Draft saved Draft deleted