1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2024 golf thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by playthrough, Jan 2, 2024.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

1. 84 is a save the scorecard round for me, not mediocre, so feel free to ignore this.
    2. If the ball's sitting up in the rough, I'll make a putting motion with a 7-8 iron. It has helped. Maybe it doesn't get close, but if one remembers to follow through, no shanks or chili dips.

maumann likes this.
  2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I've fallen in love with hitting a 6 iron with putting stroke from the fringe/collar. Just enough loft to carry it over thicker stuff and drops and rolls like a putt. Sort of of the same as using a hybrid.

maumann and playthrough like this.
  3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I'll be the first to type it: Quit.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I get the skulls at times, trying so hard that I get stabby with no tempo while holding the club with a deathgrip. Just have to remind myself to grip it like a baby and try to take a nice, languid swing. And that a chip that ends up anywhere on the green is just fine. It's so easy to try to get cute with every chip when there's nothing wrong with having 15- or 20-footers for par. Won't make 'em all, or maybe even none, but those take double bogeys off the table.

misterbc, maumann and Michael_ Gee like this.
  5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

This is what I'm going with:

What's funny is that some of the tips that I have been given (even ones from my pro last year) are opposite:

take club back to the outside and up, come down inside (keeping face open);
    keep forward press and hands locked and simply turn;
    longer stance and put ball to right of back foot;​

Could be a game changer. Fingers crossed.

maumann likes this.
  6. Deskgrunt50

Won't overload you, but the best chipping tip I ever got was from a caddy at a media event ahead of a major: All left hand. (if you're a righty). The right hand is along for the ride. As @playthrough said, it'll get you on the green.

playthrough and maumann like this.
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

U.S. dominant on Day 1 of the Solheim Cup, up 6-2. Just came back from watching Coughlin birdie 16 to claim the final point of the day. I'm exhausted after walking 10-plus miles, but that was super fun. Let's do it again tomorrow.

8. Deskgrunt50

9. playthrough

Were you affected by the morning get-in fiascos? Terrible look for the LPGA.

10. playthrough

His sixth back surgery (that we know of) in the past decade. At this point he might have a punch-card like what I use at my local Mexican restaurant. Eight punches and I get a discount.

Chef2 likes this.
  11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I was not since I had media satellite lot parking and our shuttles ran fine. But I heard plenty of warranted griping on the ground when I was walking the course. Grandstand at the first tee was only three quarters full when Nelly Korda and Allisen Corpuz teed off, so something was definitely off. Biggest issue was that the volunteers were in the same parking lot as the general public, and they kept getting to jump the line to get there first. One of my co-workers found a lot about a mile away and just hoofed it. LPGA apologized and has supposedly rectified the situation, but yes, awful look. Once the place was full in the afternoon, the energy was fantastic.

qtlaw likes this.
  12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

One of my best friends is a +point something at our local club. He always says that full shots you play off your front foot…..short ones off your back foot. But the hands always have to be ahead.
    He’s shot a 58 and two 59’s…….and just won our huge Labor Day individual tournament shooting 62-66 a couple weekends ago. I think he might know a thing or two.

Draft saved Draft deleted