1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nashville Stories

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OscarMadison, Sep 13, 2024.

1. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Whether you're that rare native or an occasional visitor, you most likely have a story about Nashville.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Getting drunk at some bar on Music Row at 11 am on a Saturday. $2 tallboys, the place was half filled, didn't care for us at first, and I ended up buying a CD of songs from patrons of the establishment.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Was there in 2021, truly the Bachelorette capital of the world. It was a Monday night in Sept (IIRC) and was downtown for a client dinner. They were all over the place in horse drawn buggies, on the streets.

After a dinner and the post-meal cocktail went back to my hotel (near Vanderbilt and that famous street where recordings happened and Grand Ole Opry I think) and decided to walk to a nearby bar to hear music. Once again Monday night, and there was some very enjoyable country music being played live and the crowd was about 75-100.

A great time in Nashville.

maumann likes this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Haven't been but did some stuff on her when she followed her dreams there.

[​IMG]

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Went to Nashville with my mom and brother the summer before 9th grade, so this would've been 1982. It was pretty cool. Country Music Hall of Fame, various things on Music Row, the old Opryland amusement park (loved it! so of course they turned it into a shopping mall, the bahstids), and the Opry.

No bachelorettes.

Very cool.

garrow likes this.
  6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Ours was a working class family that lived three counties away, but still we made it to Opryland more summers than not.

When times were flush, we’d stay the night at the Holiday Inn off Briley Parkway, which may have as well have been a cruise ship to us. Not only was it more than three stories tall, but it had a Holidome with an indoor pool! I can’t stress enough how baller this was.

Holiday Inn Holidomes

Other years, amusement park tickets were a stretch goal for us, and in the halcyon days of the late 80s, there was no internet available to the masses to provide hotel reviews.

Which is how we came to alight on the Days Inn on Murfreesboro Road one fine evening.

The following issues were observed, outside of it being a seedy part of town where ladies of the evening tended to congregate:

• The bathtub had a very concerning stain, which may or may not have come from someone’s bodily fluids.
    • The ice machine did not work, but if you went down to the front desk they would scoop some out for you there.
    • The desk clerk also regretted to inform us that the cable company had picked that weekend to jam the channels they had been illegally recieving. Our two viewing options were a religious programming station and a proto-Jewelry TV.
    I can’t remember if that is the same weekend dad got us lost in north Nashville and/or we got stuck in the mother of all traffic jams after the July 4 fireworks.

God I miss Opryland.

SixToe and Driftwood like this.
  7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You too? We also stayed at the Holiday Inn with the Holidome!

garrow and dixiehack like this.
  8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

My GF and I went to see Isbell at the Ryman last October. We stayed at this place:

https://thedivemotel.com/

It was delightfully campy.

misterbc likes this.
  9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The East Nashville gentrification is starting to creep up Dickerson Pike? Holy cow.

OscarMadison and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I-840 was the best road project ever. Will never have to drive to Nashville again if it isn't my final destination.

SixToe likes this.
  11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Too numerous to tell.
    I've done it all: weddings, bar fights, funerals, strip clubs, got elected the head of state-wide organization, called out state reps to their face in the cafeteria of Legislative Plaza, seen major sporting events and Jimmy Buffett, fished, ran 5Ks, wined, dined, something that rhymes the two aforementioned, watched a goat eat a man's raincoat at Opryland.
    I've spent a lot of time in Nashville.

12. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

Robbie Fulks has a pretty good Nashville story.

Draft saved Draft deleted