1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 3 college football thread: It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, Madison World

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 9, 2024.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Good news: They play Florida at home next week.
    Bad news: It sounds like Florida might fire Billy Napier before next week.
    Worse news: After they play Florida, the next two games are at Texas and at Georgia.

Mississippi State looked like it had a realistic path to 4-0 heading into the Texas game. Now there is a very high likelihood of finishing 4-8 at best. Tennessee, Missouri and Ole Miss are still lurking on the back half of the schedule, so five of their last nine games are against teams currently ranked in the top seven.
    They should beat UMass in November, have a good shot against Florida, and might sneak up on Texas A&M or Arkansas if they get their act together for a good week. Everybody else is going to pound them like a tent stake.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Next week’s schedule is pretty much ass across the board. But Florida-MSU and Arkansas-Auburn on the same day might be a war crime.

3. dixiehack

Ball State and Kent State, who meet Oct. 12, lost by a combined score of 133-0 today.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You've got three big Top 25 games — Tennessee-Oklahoma, Utah-Oklahoma State and USC-Michigan — that should be pretty good. That's probably an elimination game for Michigan as far as the playoffs go, and if USC goes in there and wins they might be a player in the Big Ten.
    Plus, all three of those will have the "odd duck" feel of being conference games.

5. dixiehack

I missed Utah-Okie Lite. That could be pretty good although I still have the Utes on fraud watch.

I think OU is a paper tiger and Michigan may struggle just to make a warm-weather bowl game.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I don't like Utah's chances in that one, either, if Rising is out. They're pretty good with him and a different team without him.

Michigan's implosion will be fun to watch.

And I'm with you on Oklahoma. They're ranked in the top 15 and might barely be in the top half of the SEC, and still have to play a bunch of those at the top. This should be the first domino to fall on their season.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Looks like a little more than 28 million

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Michigan is on the way to 6-6 and that might be generous. USC's big game is vs Penn State because they should both be undefeated by then and the winner is in a great spot because Ohio State-Oregon is the same day. And USC plays neither

9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

What did Wyche say? Something like "Stop acting like you're from Cleveland"? Maybe it was the college coach addressing the crowd.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

[Throws battery at video of Sam Wyche]

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I have no rooting interest in Midwestern pissing contests, but that was honestly one of my favorite sports moments in my life when I watched that the first time.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted