1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 3 college football thread: It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, Madison World

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 9, 2024.

1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I'm gonna set the over/under on number of seasons Curt Cignetti is in Bloomington at 1.5.

Signed,
    A still kinda bitter, casual Elon fan.

playthrough likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Right now, Florida beat writers say Napier is still scheduled for his weekly media conference on Monday. I would think he'll show up as the head football coach.

I have ZERO knowledge of the situation other than almost five decades of following the program -- all the way back to firing Doug Dickey and hiring Cheatin' Charley -- and my experience as a reporter in these situations. I'm certain a dozen wealthy ranchers and citrus grower alumni have easily ponied up the $26M, so that's not a problem.

So this is my best guess, and I could be completely wrong. But this is reading the tea leaves.

1. Stricklin has already called Napier into the office (maybe even last night) and told him he's done and will get the severance ... but only if he coaches the team the rest of the year as a lame duck. They're going to lose 10 games with or without him, so why waste the job on an interim?

2. Stricklin will announce this to the media and public right after the UCF game, which will keep Lagway, et al, from being able to use the four-game rule to transfer. It also keeps recruits on the hook for the short term.

3. Stricklin will announce he will retire at the end of the school year.

4. Stricklin will announce a "search committee" to find both the next AD and football coach, which takes the decision completely out of his hands.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

He becomes less likeable the more you see of him. He talks more crap than anyone, but then rejects a postgame handshake from his opposite because the guy said his team was in for a "rude awakening?" Oh my, that's really throwing down the gauntlet.

Smile and shake the kid's hand. You can even say a little something to the kid. The CSU player handled it just right, just walk away.

I guess at least he stayed on the field for the whole game this time, instead of running off to the locker room.

Colorado still has not defeated an FBS team with a winning record in 14 attempts under coach Sanders.

Yeah, I know, "get off my lawn."

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Kiffin didn't have time to make many bad decisions at Tennessee, but one that still gnaws at me was when they went to Alabama, and had no business trailing by only two points in the final minute. They completed a pass for a first down at the Alabama 27 with 45 seconds left, then ran a running play for no gain.

Second down at the 27, 35 seconds left and no timeouts, with a kicker dealing with a sore hamstring who already had missed two FGs on the day (including one blocked earlier that quarter). Instead of trying to get the ball closer, Kiffin (apparently) was so scared of a negative play that he let the clock run down to 4 seconds. At which point the kicker comes on and promptly gets another one blocked by the same guy.

maumann likes this.
  6. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Who does Florida go after? Mid-major guys haven't gotten in done. So Florida has to lure (and pay) and Power 4 coach who is successful.

Kansas' Leipold (before the start of this season) and Lane Kiffin are two possibilities. I don't think Drinkwitz leaves Mizzou and I don't think the boosters want Urban back.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I'm not sure Kiffen would be willing to leave a Top Five Ole Miss team to take on the Florida rebuild.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If there's any karma in sports, Sanders will fall in the NFL draft to the mid-rounds and be cut in training camp.

Neutral Corner and SixToe like this.
  9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

You know some delusional nutbag is thinking they could get Saban “since he’s available now!”

10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Tubbs, against Mizzou.

My buddies an I were at a shit hotel just south of campus watching that game. Mizzou was up big early, but OK came back to win.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2024 at 6:09 PM
    ChrisLong likes this.
  11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I was there!

ChrisLong likes this.
  12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

His father is still mad at a dead Tim McCarver like 32 years later or whatever. Figures that the kid would act the same way.

Draft saved Draft deleted