1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 3 college football thread: It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, Madison World

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 9, 2024.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The idea that Ole Miss would finish the regular season in the Top 11 every other year is a sharp break from historical precedent. He’s on a shooter’s roll now, but I don’t think even a very good coach can keep the Rebels on that mountaintop long-term.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Count me in the minority, for sure, but I believe he’s truly happy at ole Miss and will be there for a while. I think he’s finally matured and settled down a bit.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

As long as there is money for players, I think the tables have kind of turned as to what formerly laggard programs can do.

If I'm an offensive player, I don't know what Brent Venables and Norman, Okla., can do to attract me that Lane Kiffin and Oxford, Miss., can't.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Depends on the NIL flow and how good their GM is. It's a new day.

I bet Jimmy Sexton gets him more money out of it, though.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Part of it comes down to what the alums and boosters can provide to keep up the kitty long term. Would you rather bet on Oklahoma oil barons or Mississippi cotton farm owners?

6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I think you have the germ of a farcical movie.

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Proximity to a fried onion burger vs. City Grocery, Boure, Ajax, B's, Taylor Grocery = no contest

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The Title IX stuff has to get settled. Schools involved in NIL seems to create a lot of funding issues.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

David Cutcliffe might have been close.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think that a really good behind the scenes documentary of college football in the NIL era would me a great farcical comedy. I once heard the late Art Buchwald speak. He said he always preferred when the United States was going to hell because it made it easier to write his column. He did not have to develop material but instead just rewrote the front page of the paper. Buchwald said he always placed his column ahead of his country. I think the same thing applies to college football today.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted