1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 4 college football thread: How Sooner is Now?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 16, 2024 at 5:51 AM.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Only two years ago . . .

Screenshot 2024-09-16 at 1.46.23 PM.png

2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

There are more Easter eggs in those shorts than in some Pixar movies.

franticscribe likes this.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing when Kent State was +49.5 against Tennessee last week. Anything over 40 is typically a stay-away or take the underdog situation for me, because if they score one touchdown there's a good chance of covering it and if they manage to get 10 or 14 points they're almost certainly covering it.
    But then you see Tennessee 65, Kent State 0 at halftime and you see why +49.5 might be low.
    You're better off betting the total on this one. The O/U is 55. Hell, you can probably take the over and bet the spread both ways in a parlay and still profit, if my math is right.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Sean Lewis was a miracle worker at that school, although you are hard pressed to see it at the beginning of his latest rebuild in San Diego. Kent State has absolutely no business playing top-level football, even more so than the average MAC or C-USA sad sack. Their entire budget consists of expired Kohl’s Cash vouchers.

maumann likes this.
  5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

So THAT'S why I can't find athletic shoes in my size! (Kent State also has the nicest collection of matched towels and bathroom accessories in the MAC.)

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I love seeing this ranking. Sure, it's far from scientific, but it does give a good idea of where schools fit in the big picture. Take note that they even include the two "nomad" schools without a division -- Virginia Lynchburg and Lincoln (CA).

[​IMG]

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Florida and Florida State in a bidding war to schedule Crown.

franticscribe and maumann like this.
  8. jr/shotglass

I think it's very amusing, and illuminating, that Kent State is ranked below Division III North Central.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

How do they have Memphis three spots below Florida State? And Florida State is 15 spots ahead of Georgia Tech and 23 above Boston College?
    There is unscientific and there's WTF?

10. jr/shotglass

It's just my bias, but I was a lot more interested in where the lower levels fit in with each other. I wouldn't give their FBS rankings a whole lot of credence.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Texas back?

Draft saved Draft deleted