1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 2 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Sep 10, 2024.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I think most Giant fans would gladly exchange two Super Bowl wins via getting hot at the right time and a little first-round playoff exit mediocracy over the mess that franchise has been the past five or six years, and the mess it looks like it will be for the next five or six years.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Coughlin was also an annoying Mick who had a hot poker up his ass all the time.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Second team.

In 1989, Vikings kicked seven FGs in regulation. Rams scored three touchdowns. Vikings scored a safety in OT to win 23-21.

4. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I'd argue Coughlin did a much better job of building a program at Jacksonville, where he poured the foundation and built the Jaguars into a powerhouse in almost no time flat. They had four straight winning seasons from '96-'99 and haven't matched that since. No other expansion team since the merger has succeeded that fast or in that sustainable a manner. Their 1999 season--unbeaten against everyone except the Titans--is one of the all-time great weird seasons. I suppose he was due some fluky luck from that experience.

2muchcoffeeman and Batman like this.
  5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Thank you. I'm going to take the opportunity to use your info to shame Fake Sportscenter.

Because I like to shame Fake Sportscenter.

(Ah, too late. A few beat me to it.)

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Two Super Bowls does trump everything else. They don't come with asterisks and you don't have to give them back. I think any Browns or Lions fans would gladly take 20 more years of 0-17 if it meant a Super Bowl win.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

When the rotting corpse of Andy Dalton is your plan to pull out of a tailspin and save the season — in Week 3, no less — you know things are not going well.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I can't imagine having less optimism for an NFL team. The Panthers are just so ... nothing.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Bring back Jake Delhomme!

11. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Frank Reich lasted 11 games, at this rate Dave Canales won't last seven.

As for Young, this news couldn't be better. He get several weeks to physically recover and he's still young enough and the sample size is small enough that he can get himself shipped to another team that can get him a fresh start and that team won't have to give up much draft capital.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It's one thing to lose games. But they've lost hope. They're not even competitive.

Jake wouldn't survive long behind that line. And who's the Steve Smith on this roster (yeah ... Chicago).

Drinks are getting tossed at a record rate. And I don't think David Tepper has suddenly become more patient. Problem is, his temperament and lack of support and backing is why potential coaches and players are not putting Charlotte on their maps.

I mean, the defense was decent, then Frankie Luvu and Jeremy Chinn went to Washington. And Derrick Brown is gone for the season. The one side of the ball that was solid – sometimes good with the potential to be a stalwart again – now needs a lot of help similar to the offense.

I honestly don't know if Andy Dalton can give them hope, find Adam Thielen for a nine-yard slant over the middle on third-and-7, or find Diontae Johnson for the occasional big completion that gives an offense teeth and a team hope. But, so far, Bryce Young hasn't come close to getting it done and is showing zero signs of progress. This move had to be made, not only to give the franchise some glimmer of hope, but also to see if Dalton can get it done or if the line is just going to get everyone behind center killed.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2024 at 5:16 PM
Draft saved Draft deleted