1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS leagues expanding - yeah?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Memphis has had itchy feet for a long time. The grass may look greener than in the "diminished AAC". Add that the 6pac is already a darn good basketball conference. Go to ten schools and play a round robin schedule and they should put multiple schools in the dance. A couple of million more plus that may do it. That said, obviously I know nothing about what the Memphis President and AD are thinking.

Roscablo likes this.
  2. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

The only thing I can see is to really focus on that best of rest aspect. Someone here brought up Memphis and Tulane. You'd probably have to add a Texas school somewhere, so an up-and-comer like Texas State I guess. Get the right next one or two from the MW, my mind says UNLV and New Mexico but I know opinions would vary, and you're on the right track. You could also be looking at a really solid basketball league too (especially if they're smart and add Gonzaga and maybe even Saint Mary's for everything else).

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Idaho and Northern Arizona come to mind.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

ETSU once did, but after bringing football back it camped out at the local high school for a couple of years until it could get its own outdoor stadium built.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Idaho State plays in a 10K dome.

6. Neutral Corner

The problem with UNLV is that they are spotwelded to Nevada unless a remedy can be found. My guess is that the Pac is as likely to look at UTSA as North Texas, even if they're in a down year after losing twelve year starting QB Frank Harris.

7. Neutral Corner

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

9. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

So that tweet implies AAC schools leaving, would have to be Memphis and Tulane, right? If it even holds water.

I have heard the UNLV tied to Nevada thing but how/why? Is there actual state law? They haven't always been in the same conference. Heck UNLV was an original MW school, and mega WAC before that and Nevada didn't get into the same conference until like 2011 or 12.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

There’s such a population imbalance in that state that I can’t imagine UNLV not being allowed to go due to state politics.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

No conference should take those reprobates.

12. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

All of the Dakota schools except South Dakota State play in domes of various quality. Northern Iowa plays in the UNI-Dome ... which sucks out loud.

Draft saved Draft deleted