1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 2 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Sep 10, 2024.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Philly's game ending defensive scheme had a little bit to do with it.

That said, so much for Cousins' achilles problem.

JC likes this.
  2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

That was the game that gave the world the legendary Jerry Burns rant. Full breakdown at 1:10:40.

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Again, they gave Philly 34 seconds and two timeouts and all they needed was a field goal. It would have been different if they needed at TD

The Eagles were at their 43 with a timeout and 27 seconds left. That's an eternity to 17 yards.

Just because it worked out doesn't mean the process wasn't wrong. Atlanta was going to have three chances with second and five at the seven. Running there either forces the Eagles to use a timeout or they let the clock keep going. Either way it's better than an incomplete pass.

I'm also kinda surprised the Eagles just didn't go for it on fourth and three to win the game. At worst the Falcons go the length of the field and get a TD and you lose anyway. Kicking that field goal to go up six guaranteed Atlanta had to go for a touchdown, and if they get it, you lose.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So we are just assuming touchdowns now.

5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Daboll, another FRAUD who can't do shit without a generational QB falling into his lap, is uniquely dumb and neanderthalic even by NFL head coaching standards. He's cost them two games because of his dicking around with an injured kicker. He might actually be the worst coach they've had since Coughlin.

6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Why decline the penalty to get a first down?

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I’m pissed I dozed off with about 7 minutes left. Just happened to check my phone with Philly up 6 and the ball with under 2 left and said “meh. That’s over.”
    Zzzzzzz
    Moron.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2024 at 8:14 AM
  8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You don't mess around in that situation. You score the touchdown whenever you can because it isn't guaranteed.

2muchcoffeeman and JC like this.
  9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

That Falcons defense is the real deal.

10. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

The staying power of your Browns hate is impressive, considering they have been no threat to your team since 1989, other than the blip four years ago when Rapistraper was still at the helm. And yes, the Browns knew who/what Watson was. How many new deals did Big Queenie get while the Steelers knew who/what he was? And Heinz was packed weekly with towel-waving zealots worshiping him. In Cleveland, pretty much nobody's rooting for Watson. Other than Jimmy Haslam. Hell, there's a video from Week 1 of Wyatt Teller refusing Watson's help up after a play. Even his teammates hate him. Many of us, meanwhile, are quietly rooting for Mayfield from a distance. It's a nice sidebar to the story.

While I get what you say, the Browns deserve no pain. Just their owner, who was behind this idiocy. He's the one solely responsible. In his decade-plus as Browns owner, Haslam has meddled twice in the QB department. That genius has given Cleveland fans Watson and Johnny Manziel. At least there was an escape from Manziel. The rest of the Browns front office -- Andrew Berry et al -- maybe deserves a little of the agony for not having the balls to come out and say "This was all Jimmy." Everyone knows it anyway. I'm sure they'd get jobs elsewhere. Even without the scandal, the Watson move was a bad one and went against what they and all the other propellerheads believe is how you build a team. I have think he is paying them to stay and take the heat so he doesn't have to. With their track record, any other team would have fired them by now.

I feel bad for Browns fans. The organization makes it impossible, but I'd like to be one. Especially living here with a 10-year-old son who is crazy about sports and especially the NFL, a love that began four years ago when Mayfield looked on the verge of a long career here. Then the management team screwed it up by playing him almost an entire season when 2-3 weeks off might have gotten him healthy. At the time the kid had a Mayfield jersey. Now he still has Nick Chubb and Myles Garrett -- the anti-Watsons -- but he also has a closet full of the likes of Justin Jefferson, Jalen Hurtz, Patrick Mahomes and a few others, as he roots for individuals like it's the NBA. He's already learned rooting for the Browns yields nothing. There hasn't been much to cheer for here in what is by far the town's most popular sport. Not for anyone of any age. But at least very few in this area are going to cheer for the turd at quarterback. And my kid certainly isn’t. Which is nice.

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

The Browns have won 11 games two out of the last four seasons.

If the Browns merely win six or seven games a year THAT’S BETTER THAN THEY’VE BEEN MY ENTIRE ADULT LIFE.

Even with Watson’s millstone around their neck.

I don’t see anyone calling for the firing of Andrew Berry anywhere other than by Junkie on this board. For years he’s claimed Stefanski and Berry are idiots while they keep winning coach and GM awards and go to the playoffs.

Look at the line of morons who ran the franchise from 1999 to 2018. Haslam might hire Deion Sanders if Stefanski were fired.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2024 at 9:00 AM
  12. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

What has Andrew Berry done? His best players -- Ward, Chubb, Garrett, Njoku (and Mayfield, if you want to throw him in there, since Berry and Stefanski threw him out) -- all were drafted by the prior GM. Bitonio by an even older regime. Teller was a Dorsey trade. Made up of Berry's guys, this team would go 0-17. Jimmy keeps him because Berry will take the heat for Watson.

Berry's first pick this year is on the commissioner's exempt list. He has drafted a receiving corps of third rounders – Tillman, Bell, Schwartz – who can’t catch. Spent a fourth-rounder on a kicker who can’t kick. Once in a while he finds a serviceable player but his record is inarguably awful. He keeps extending and redoing deals to the point guys are undealable. And if he was responsible for the Watson deal (and I believe he wasn’t), well … Again, what has he done, other than jump on Haslam's grenade?

As for Stefanski, he ran the best quarterback they've had in 40 years out of town -- that's really paying off -- and follows every good year with a shitty one. And last I checked, four seasons and zero playoff wins is not good but as a Browns fan, standards and expectations become so unbelievably low that what Stefanski has "accomplished" seems like something. It's not.

Draft saved Draft deleted