1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 2 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Sep 10, 2024.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I had no hate for the Browns until they acquired Watson. I hated that Cleveland had its team stolen by Modell. I've written about that before. Since their return, they haven't been worth hating, which is disappointing.

When I said the Browns deserve all the pain they get regarding Watson, I was referring to Haslem and the organization, not the fans. That said, plenty of Browns fans supported Watson when he first arrived. Do an image search and you will see them with disgusting signs supporting him and denigrating his accusers. How much of the negativity from Browns fans is due to his poor play since he got there? (I don't mean your son. I'm sure you are making sure he knows better just as I educated my daughter about Roethlisberger as soon as she was old enough to understand.)

It sucks that the Browns robbed you of a team. It sucks that they robbed your son of years of rooting for Mayfield. I agree that they handled that situation horribly. It was incredibly irresponsible for them to let him play through that injury in 2021. It was obvious that he was nowhere near 100 percent. They screwed him over big time, nearly destroying his career. I always thought he was kind of an ass, but I root for him because he deserves better than what he got from the team that drafted him.

I won't get into a debate of who is worse, Roethlisberger or Watson. That is subjective. They are both disgusting, but IMHO, there is a big difference between keeping a player who did something awful and going so far out of their way to acquire one. All teams employ bad guys. Not all teams get metaphorically get down on their knees and beg such guys to be a part of their organization.

If you want to argue that the Steelers deserved any suffering they faced while they employed Roethlisberger, too, that's fair. I think what the Browns did was far worse, but I can see the opposing argument.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Stefanski also has this idiotic habit of throwing the ball way too much in games when the running game is dominating. He has handed the Steelers victories that way.

That said, much as I hate to bring it up, the Browns did win a playoff game in 2020.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2024 at 9:56 AM
  3. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Not at all. the Steelers are a paragon of what an organization should be, and are enviable in nearly every way possible, but also proof that even the best ones will sell their souls to win. The Browns are no different; they just did it for a player who sucks, adding to a decades-long run of incompetence. At least Watson's contract did not prove to be a trendsetter. Sanity has followed in its wake.

4. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

They did. He didn't. He was at home with Covid-19, watching on TV with the rest of us.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Why wouldn’t the Eagles tush push on 3rd and 3? It kills time off the clock, possibly gets them the first down and might set them up for a game clinching first down?

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

In just about two games, up to that point, the Falcons had scored two touchdowns. Their red zone offense terrible. For you to say that they "fucked up" by getting a td with 30 seconds left is pretty insane. In fact, it is very insane. They had no time outs. And you want them to pick and choose when to score their td.

That is beyond wild.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

To run another play and make the Falcons use a timeout on third down.

If they take the first down the Falcons could stop the clock after the next three plays and (if they made a stop) make the Eagles kick a field goal with about 1:45 left. If they decline it and get the first down with the tush push, Atlanta runs out of timeouts after second down so the Eagles can run another 40 seconds off the clock before kicking.

Of course, they forgot all about that and threw the ball on third down, negating their own strategy and giving the Falcons 1:39 to play with.

dixiehack likes this.
  8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Watched Manning telecast and while Eli rarely says anything, Belichick is delightfully plain speaking. “[Falcons] can’t tackle, they’re too light on front 7”. His groans were so funny.

da man likes this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Which fan base should be the most disheartened at this point? My rankings.
    1. Miami - they might be years away from having another QB as good at Tua (And Tua isn't even a top tier QB).
    2. Jags - a couple of years ago, it looked like they would own the division for five or six years, now they seem ready to blow it up.
    3. Bengals - not sure what their excuse is.

Teams like the Panthers, Browns, Giants and Titans won't have to look too hard to find a better QB, And they'll be bad enough to draft at the top.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2024 at 11:01 AM
  10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Starting it seems with the cancer that was Vontaze Burfict, the Bengals always seem to be undone by an absolutely boneheaded play (usually a penalty) at the wrong time.

11. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

I don’t know if it’s fair to say it was mostly Stefanski’s fault. Baker admitted on the PMT podcast he was probably stubborn in not getting surgery that season. He did himself no favors with the way he carried himself in 2021. There were factors outside Baker’s control that determined his fate (like anyone else), but he just wasn’t very professional.

His whole reckless style of play was the reason he was even in that situation. He tried to tackle a guy after an interception and went shoulder first. An interesting what if in Browns history is what happens if that injury doesn’t occur. That play changed the whole trajectory of the franchise with the ripple effect it had (Baker plays mediocre the rest of the year and leads to pursuit of Watson).

There was a game against the Lions (in 2021 they were winless most of the season) where one of his throws sailed over a wide ass open Jarvis Landry and the safety picked it. He left the field early that game without acknowledging anyone (the Browns won the game), skipped his mandatory media session afterwards and was an ass to reporters the next day. That was probably the point where the Browns were done with him. Then came the Christmas Day 4 interception debacle against the Packers and the meltdown on Monday Night in Pittsburgh.

Credit to him for maturing if that’s what’s happened.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Did he get there before Pac Man Jones?

Draft saved Draft deleted