1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

My man Kyle Manzardo with the game-winning HR. He’s done well since his September call up.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Baseball Definitions

Boston Red Sox teammates Oil Can Boyd and Jim Rice shake hands. Jan. 8, 1986.

[​IMG]

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The ChiSox win again. Coming dangerously close to 41 wins. On Monday they tied the 1916 and 1919 Philadelphia A's mark of 36 wins.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

As of now the Dodgers get the winner of Brewers and Mets.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The lettering is reminiscent of the Pilots.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This will go down in baseball lore with the red seat in the bleachers at Fenway and the flagpole marking where Frank Robinson's big blast left the yard at Memorial Stadium.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

They have five more with the Angels, so the could get there.
    Are there two worse rosters right now? I was listening to their game a bit last night, and the Angels sent up five guys in the sixth that 99 percent of the people here have probably never heard of. But at least they are guys from the minors who could have a future and not a bunch of washed up guys playing out the string.

Batters
    WardLF
    NetoSS
    Schanuel1B
    KavadasDH
    ThaissC
    Wagaman3B
    Leblanc2B
    AdamsCF
    CamperoRF

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

They drubbed the Angels for their fourth victory in a row, while the Angels have lost six in a row.

Angels lefty Reid Detmers looked like he didn't give a shit while the Sox were scoring 3 (two HRs) in the first and 3 in the second. In his previous two starts, he beat the Dodgers and Twins.
    Shortstop Zach Neto, who might be a budding star, has gone home run happy. He had told the sideline reporter his goal was 20 HRs. When he hit his 19th, he tried to homer in every ensuing at-bat for a week or so. He finally got to 20 and is still trying to HR on every pitch, opening up and over-swinging. He pops up to short or grounds to third when he isn't striking out on sliders that break into the dirt in left-handers batter's box. I don't think he's hit a ball to the right side in a month.
    Backup catcher Matt Thaiss, who they kept because he's a pretty good hitter, is in an 0-for-30 slump.
    I see hitter after hitter watch strike three on a 93 mph fastball down the middle. Announcers say, "He was fooled by that one." The only way that happens is if their "analytics" are wrong. If they take strike-three fastballs down the middle, they are clueless in the batter's box.

I wonder if the Angels are just tired of hearing the same crap every day and want out. Unfortunately, for some of them, if they aren't on the Angels, they are out of baseball. They are bringing up guys from the minors who I have never heard of, and I watched a lot of spring games to see who plays in the late innings.

Enough of this Angels rant. Back to the Tigers ...

maumann likes this.
  9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Last night's announced attendance in Anaheim was 35, 597. What? That's about 30,000 more than I would have expected. The Halos and ChiSox play a 1 p.m. game Wednesday. That should draw well on a work/school day.

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

You got your previous post done while I was still writing mine.
    Angels had big crowds for the previous series against Houston, too. I wonder how much is paper.

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Lots of tickets in this price range for tonight.

upload_2024-9-17_12-0-52.png

ChrisLong likes this.
  12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

You see. If I lived in Chicago, I can promise you that I would be a mt a handful of White Sox games a year.
    Walk up. Give the guy a 20, and you could be 5 rows off the field.
    Just take in the sounds. Have a couple cold beers, a hot dog and a bag of peanuts.
    I don’t care how bad the baseball is or who is even playing.
    You see, there is nothing like a baseball game. The sound of ball to catchers glove. The sound of the ball off the bat. The cry of “Strike one”.
    See, no matter the AI. No matter all the modern amenities. None of that stuff matters.

I Should Coco and HanSenSE like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted