1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That tracks. We’ve been pissy all along.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Maybe. But we DID go a half-century without it being taxed. And much of it is still not taxed anyway (depending on your other income sources in retirement).

I did a quick and dirty calculation, and it seems about 33% of my SS will be taxable.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

That's been the GOP endgame for Social Security since before it was a glint in FDR's spectacles: Starve the beast -- strangle its funding at the root then stand back as it goes bankrupt.

When the true endgame arrives, when the revenue spiral starts to accelerate, as a matter of financial responsibility, they'll pull the plug and cut it off with zero warning. They'll take a vote late late one night, and Social Security checks will stop going out the next morning.

No gradual scaledown, no reduced benefits, no warning period when fortunate people can go make other retirement arrangements.

The MAGGATS don't want to come back for every session of congress for 10 years listening to people screaming about starving grandmas and all that, they don't want to contend with Democrats rolling back the cuts every other election or so if they get an edge in congress, no no no -- they want to smash the machine all at once. Cut t off completely. Social Security and Medicare, all gone. Done, finished, no more money.

Of course people would be mad and probably there would be unrest in the streets. And indeed there would be people dying in the gutters. But if they control the military and the LEOs, they only have to worry about that for a couple months. Once it's done, it's done.

That's the concept of their plan on entitlements.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2024 at 2:49 PM
  4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Hmmm.

x.com

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

According to the millennials, we don’t matter anyway.

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

All while that deduction from your paycheck doesn't go anywhere.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

We were able to go that stretch without taxing it because it wasn't being paid out to a high percentage of the population.

The tax was added because people are living longer, staying on social security longer, and now a significantly higher portion of the population is drawing social security benefits than when it was not taxed.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

We also were raised on funny conservatives like Alex P Keaton and Carlton Banks.

franticscribe and garrow like this.
  10. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

In the same speech, he killed RFK Jr. and invented a country. That takes skills.

garrow and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I was working on the desk Sunday, and since the FBI was investigating it as an assassination attempt, I had it attributed to them (“FBI investigates another assassination attempt”)

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

NO SPOLIERS

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted