1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS leagues expanding - yeah?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 19, 2010.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Are Nevada and UNLV controlled by the same governing body?

2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

UNLV's claim to fame is a national championship in basketball.

UNR's claim to fame is being 15 minutes from Tahoe. (Oh, they also claim the 1956 NRA collegiate rifle championship and two national championships in concrete canoeing.)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2024 at 8:15 AM
    HanSenSE likes this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I read that isn't necessarily set in stone, that UNLV may be able to go single. We'll see, I guess.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

One of the big factors in inviting UNLV is playing games in Vegas. Barry Odom has done a good job, likely someone takes a run at hiring him.

maumann likes this.
  5. LanceyHoward

I checked. UNLV and Nevada Reno are both governed by the same board. So it depends if the board, the membership of which is probably weighted towards Las Vegas, agrees UNLV could separate from Nevada Reno. Which is not to say that they will.

Roscablo and Neutral Corner like this.
  6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

So ... the Big 10 said "nah"?

7. LanceyHoward

If I was one of the other schools in the ACC my question would be why bother? If Florida State and Clemson take more than my school takes less. And if the Big 10 or the SEC extends an invitation to Clemson or Florida State those schools will still jump.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I always thought a conference could keep everyone happy and not just give the "big dogs" a bigger slice, but cut the media money up into a few more slices and award them to the highest ranked team at the end of the year, the highest TV viewership/social media "interest" etc. Your FSUs, Ohio States, USCs will get those slices most years, but at least all the conference schools will technically have a chance. A model like that could have saved the Pac-12. .

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted