1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Give him credit for being smart enough to keep Paul Volcker, whom Carter hired as Fed Chief months before the 1980 election and who told Carter, "I can beat inflation, but there will be pain and it will cost you the election." There was pain. And it continued after the election.

Unemployment (the least of the Carter economy's many woes) was at 7.2% in 1980. It reached 10.8% TWO YEARS into Reagan's first term before finally dropping.

Interest rates peaked at "only" 14-15% under Carter and reached 18.5% nine months into Reagan's first term, eventually getting to 9% in 1987.

All that pain whacked inflation in a hurry, though. At 12.5% in 1980, it plummeted to 3.8% by 1982.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Reagan kicked off his campaign in Philadelphia, Miss.

Please to rot in hell you maggot-infested corpse.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Maybe this is why he doesn't want another debate. He can make half-baked, half-assed promises without getting a response like this. Harris doesn't have a speechwriter like Sorkin, but next to Trump, even she can seem as eloquent as Bartlet.

4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yeah but they’ll make sure your neighbors don’t:

have same sex sex;
    have any premarital sex actually

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'm sure it was a laugh riot

7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I had a kid ask me last week "Was Reagan a good president?" I thought for a bit, and the best response I could muster was, "Well. You know, it's complicated. His first term was what the country needed at the time. His second term had its problems."
    And that's really the best answer I could give.
    The 10-16 year-old me from a very comfortable upper middle class white rural family led a good life. Rose colored glasses.
    The 17-year-old me who enlisted in the Navy under Reagan, who wanted to build that Navy to 600 ships, loved him.
    The 53-year-old me who can go back and critically look at the administration and realize everyone didn't lead the life I did understands and admits everything for everybody wasn't a Family Ties episode or a Motley Crue video.
    I'm not going to trash Reagan. I can't. I will acknowledge where he failed. I certainly won't, like a friend of mine, name a child Reagan.*

*I did once own a parrot I named after Jimmy Buffett.

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

9. Della9250

10. Della9250

11. Della9250

I can only imagine the reason to vote against this

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Maybe he was just a Marcus Dupree fan.