1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Disappointed in Laraine Newman. While I agree with her, that was graceless

Writing this as a long-time fan. She was my favorite NRFPTP. Gilda's "Love me! Love me!" schtick was exhausting. Twelve-year-old me harbored crushes on SCTV-era Eugene Levy and Dan Aykroyd.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I think Laraine probably passed into no fucks to give territory long ago.

Having seen exactly none of these shows, I have no dog in this fight.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The best comment I saw regarding the Emmys was that the actor playing Yabushige lost because it was all part of Toranaga’s plan.

4. OscarMadison

step up to the table with he brie sammy

I'm glad I did. Wow, what an ending! Who knew, prissy, fussy Persephone would take a seat at the table and not only watch the proceedings while she nibbled her brie sammy, but plot, plot, plot? You were right about women flipping the script. Speaking of which, I couldn't help but wonder where Athena was. After all, she could have been the ultimate Daddy's Girl, a parallel to mortal Ariadne. Maybe Athens will figure into the next season.

Other hot takes:

Glad the Fates are not gone. Suzy Eddie Izzard has a lovely voice and a great laugh.

Medusa turned no one to stone? Is it because they're all dead? Did she just decide to spare Orpheus?

Prometheus is great, but he owes all kinds of amends to Charon.

Who did Hera call at the end?

Spartan Squad likes this.
  5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

There’s a throw away line when Riddy first meets Medusa where she asks that exact question and the answer is because they’re dead.

Why not end Orpheus? Perhaps she, like Persephone, was enamored with the love story and wanted to put an end to what they are doing.

As far as Hera, we didn’t see Athena or Apollo so maybe one of them?

6. OscarMadison

More likely Apollo, unless Athena has a lot of Daddy issues Hera can use to her advantage.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Survivor starts tonight. Didn't watch an episode last season - well, either "season." Didn't want to wade through the "supersized" episodes during the writer's strike and realized I wasn't missing anything. This article sums up a lot of it. Too much touchy-feely stuff. Almost feels like a "Make A Wish" convention with all the traumas contestants divulge. (In the past this would be met with an immediate vote-off with contestants worried about how that will play at the final Tribal Council. The TCs really are the heart of what is wrong - it seems as if Probst is trying to relive his failed talk show and serving more as a group therapist than find out what is going on back at camp. People are too nice.

https://slate.com/culture/2024/09/survivor-47-cbs-best-seasons-jeff-probst-new-era.html

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I go into every season thinking it will be my last but I end up watching, albeit with much more scrolling and fast forwarding. Probst has become more and more insufferable and is trying to force a game instead of just letting it play out.

There were some complaints that they were casting too many attractive pharmaceutical reps and waiters but now it's all nerdy "super fans" and there are very few alpha males or females who can really play the game.

As you mentioned, it's much more Oprah than surviving.

9. OscarMadison

@SpartanSquad Something that jumped out about Kaos that I failed to mention earlier was how the showrunners seemed to flip between the conventions of Greek theatre and Greek art. Some deaths were presented in very explicit detail. Odd that Dennis' death was out of camera range while Charon and Glaucus were practically field-dressed on camera.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Most of the way through the first season of Homicide on Peacock. Recency bias and all that, but it might be one of the best seasons of TV I’ve ever seen.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

That might have been a line they didn’t want to cross. It’s one thing to see two adults get stabbed and throats slit. It is another to see innocent baby animals get offed, brutally.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The first season is pretty much straight from the book. It is still good, but falls off when it gets beyond and actors start leaving.

Draft saved Draft deleted