1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Baseball players are driven by analytics now. It's a fact of baseball life. I don't like it any more than you do.
    You don't need to create an argument where none exists. This isn't the Steelers thread.

2. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

You're both right, to a degree, but pitch selection can fall under the umbrella of either analytics or scouting. Either way, if guys are starting at dick-high fastballs down the middle for strike 3, either the scouting report or the analytics suggested -- loudly -- that a particular pitcher was going to throw any other pitch in his repertoire at that moment. What was the count? 0-2? Most times that means some kind of breaking ball away is coming. 2-2? Probably not gonna get a fastball down the middle, but a fastball is likely. 3-2? Guys no longer just give in to hitters. Batters are still just guessing in many situations. Analysts are trying to deprogram scouting reports. All the analytics in the world might suggest a breaking ball is coming. So if that's what their belief is, they're not going to "expect fastball, adjust to the curveball." It's why they don't even swing. They have no chance. The other guy just won the chess match. Tip your hat and move on. Also, hitting is hard.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2024 at 12:52 PM
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I was coming here to post as of this morning, the Tigers have a 1-in-5 chance of making the playoffs and a 0.6 percent chance of winning the World Series, according to Fangraphs.

But I seem to be in an alternate thread. My bad.

UPChip, melock and Liut like this.
  4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I don’t believe for a second that anyone is telling them not to swing at belt high fastballs down the middle with 2 strikes.

and hitting is damn hard.

Junkie likes this.
  5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

As stated before, these Tigers' and Padres' teams remind me of the 2014 Royals.
    They get in, watch out. Extremely dangerous.

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 18, 2024 at 2:30 PM
    Cosmo likes this.
  7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Foxx is still an all-time great.

He got beaned on a barnstorming tour, caused lifelong sinus and other head-related health problems that made him turn to alcohol. By all accounts he was well-liked and a very good person.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Gotta hope no horses got out before that gate was closed.

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I don't like somebody being described as "turning to alcohol." It's a choice and it ruins peoples lives. Their is no excuse for it. You can make up, but it all be done.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The MASH episode where they trace the life of the unit through the 1951 NL season has some brutal continuity errors (Winchester already in Korea by spring of 51? Listening to The Shot Heard Round the World in broad daylight, 13 hours ahead of New York?) But in the abstract, it captured the pacing of the seasons of the year as they relate to baseball well.

HanSenSE and maumann like this.
  12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

Unfortunately for him and many others, the medical technology to repair his sinus/head problems was not available at the time.

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted