1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Icebox is smiling somewhere… girls flag football comes to PA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, Sep 18, 2024 at 7:18 PM.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I think the Olympics will only speed up that process.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Very big and growing like crazy here. State sanctioned for the first time this year after a two-year trial run funded mostly by the Broncos.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Had a great debut in California last year. Playoffs through Section level, but gotta believe CIF will hop on the bandwagon soon.

maumann likes this.
  6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Starting to gain traction in Alabama, although there are still just two combined classifications, versus seven for tackle football. They’ve started having the girls’ championship paired with the 7A title game at the beginning of the Super 7.

7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Interesting to note that the league schedules I've seen have a weekly "jamboree" format, where three schools play a round-robin at a host school in one afternoon.

The other thing that comes to mind is the Powder Puff flag football game in 1975 between senior girls from the our new school against the senior girls from our old school after they split us following 10th grade. The game was played in our gym, and started out somewhat polite. But it soon turned into a much more physical confrontation than expected, given the apparent animosity between former friends. There was more hair pulled than flags and more tackling than touch by the time the game ended. The refs stepped in several times to end some serious pushing and shoving.

I think even the guys on the varsity team learned a few dirty tricks after that display. And a lot of girls came to school with bruises and black eyes the following day. I don't think anyone lost a tooth but I learned to never undestimate the strength of a woman wearing a football jersey.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I had a discussion with an ex-writing buddy about it when it came down.

He said that with girls' soccer, field hockey and cross-country already in the fall mix (and don't forget central Pennsylvania is as field hockey-crazy as any locale in the nation), female student-athletes are going to have make a choice. My answer was that they already made that choice 5-6 years earlier, because almost every athletic program is now a 12-month endeavor.

Flag football just became a months-long endeavor, and girls who have been playing another sport for years aren't walking away for it. And it's not as if girls can cling to the dream of a girls' flag football scholarship. Hey, even the best female bowlers have that.

Batman likes this.
  10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Florida's been playing for several years, but in the spring.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

And I haven't seen that ruled out for PA, either. Of course, then you have lacrosse, softball and track/field.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's a fall sport here along with cross country, field hockey, gymnastics, softball, spirit, unified bowling and volleyball.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2024 at 8:51 PM
Draft saved Draft deleted