1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woj Bomb (Courtesy of Schefter)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Regan MacNeil, Sep 18, 2024 at 10:57 AM.

1. motorsportwriter

motorsportwriter New Member

Trash-80's, now that brings back memories ... and nightmares. I still have 2-3 somewhere in the house. I wonder if they still power up. Anyone else still have their Trash-80 or its cousins, Trash-100 and 200?

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

There's a healthy eBay market for Trash-80s and accessories. Buyers who must not have PTSD that old journos do.

motorsportwriter likes this.
  3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

4. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I almost threw mine Frisbee-style out of the Florida Field press box one night in a particular fit of pique, and then sold it to a future AP journo for a large pepperoni pizza, IIRC...

rb

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I still have my TRS-100, in the box (which I purposely kept), with the couplers, carrying case and all the connections. I also still have one of those traditional old-style desk phones, with the wall plug, that were the best bet of getting through and that I always brought to events. I think I still remember how to send, too (F4, then F3?). I should try it.:)

Probably wouldn't go through on the other (office) end anymore, though.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2024 at 8:53 PM
  6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Never had my own Trash-80, but occasionally borrowed one from the office. This was back before we had e-mail (but lots of other places already did).

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Doomsday prepper?

8. motorsportwriter

motorsportwriter New Member

Doomsday Prepper?

Well, when AI destroys all forms of communication in the near future, yes, we will have our Trash-80s to fall back on as we begin the whole rebuilding process. Keep those couplers handy -- although I can't see how they would work with Galaxy's or iPhones LOL.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Fucking couplers.

[​IMG]

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

There was a way you could plug into the wall outlet or something with a Trash-80 so you didn't need the couplers. Or so I think I remember.

Hard to believe that at one point a Trash-80 was a godsend to sports reporting. So clunky, but generally so dependable, sort of the DC3 of early portable laptops.

And, to get back on thread here, Olean will probably seem like the end of the world compared to the places he's been but hopefully it will be a great job for him, people there love Bonnies basketball. My family has a lot of connections to SBU and I have been a fan of the former Brown Indians since the Bob Lanier era.

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Gosh, I hope so.

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Jeff D'Alessio is the only Bonnie I know.

He and Paul O are the best writers I've ever worked with.

Jim Rossow is really good, too.

MileHigh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted