1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Music Thread (post a song)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Jun 15, 2021.

1. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

So, I'm late to MJ Lenderman's music, but damn, there's so much Tom Petty in this, I think. Downloading everything.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Didn't realize Katie Perry was in need of a "comeback" - but apparently this song wasn't a hit or didn't break through. I like the video. Kind of surprising given what a strong year its been for women, that this didn't find more eardrums -

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I dunno. Katy Perry burned pretty hot a decade and a half ago and hasn't been the same presence since. She's 5 years older than Tay-Tay.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

She might be too old for the "today's hits" format, also too young to do the "standards/American songbook" thing many artists do later in their careers.

5. Twirling Time

Didn't Katy Perry have a Vegas residency? That screams to me at the least "mom jeans" before she even turned 40.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

My wife has informed me that “mom jeans” is some sort of satellite radio format these days.

Not sure what mom jeans are as clothing, let alone as a music genre.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Probably not much different than a fox's head and a red dress.

I Should Coco likes this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I never thought I'd post a cover band in here, but this is astonishing. Blew me away. In particular I was taken by how good the bass and drums were. Bruford and Squire are not easy to emulate, not at all, and they nail the sound. The vocalist is perhaps the weakest link and she's quite good. Jon Anderson's vocal sound is so distinctive that it is hard to capture.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2024 at 8:21 AM
  9. Twirling Time

Yes is notoriously hard to cover.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link — an impressive cover. One of the classics from Yes’s early era.

11. Neutral Corner

I got to looking and they've actually backed Jon Anderson, so I'm not sure "cover band" was accurate. Bass player was with Blue Oyster Cult. It's still a great performance of a very difficult piece, no matter how you cut it.

I saw them a couple of times in the early era, '75, 76, once from the third row, right below Steve Howe. They were so damn good.

12. Neutral Corner

Draft saved Draft deleted