1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 3 -- Winding your way down on Baker Street

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Sep 17, 2024.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

That’s always going to be a no-call for the Chiefs.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

But it shouldn’t be.
    Cook basically tackles Pitts.
    No head turn. No play on the ball.
    Nothing.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Pull the line hard, pitch the ball to the fastest back, and sprint to the fucking corner and dive in.

It's not that fucking hard.

Basic fucking football.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

OK. What did Packers or Bears games look like in St. Louis?

6. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Seriously, I saw a full house of people. Think the NFL money counter gives a fuck who they support as long as they buy the tickets?

Chef2, 2muchcoffeeman, Liut and 2 others like this.
  7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I got a kick out of some Colts-fan friends lamenting all the Bears fans in Indy. I wish I had season tickets this year -- the home schedule has the Bears, Steelers, Bills and Lions, and I'm the kind of guy who likes money more than watching in-person. As apparently do many Colts ticketholders.

Liut likes this.
  8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

A Titans game on radio sounds like the Cocktail Party or Red River Shootout. You’d swear the crowd is 50-50 for the home team at best.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I know people who buy season tickets and justify the cost by selling some of the games. It’s not a bad way to go. It just sticks for home teams who get inundated with visiting fans, but at the same time, the efforts to stop it are comical at best.

10. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

During the Peyton Manning era in Denver you could sell tickets regardless of game for $300 a seat minimum and it was often a lot more than that. Now most didn't because it was a really fun time. This was definitely a time where I would be damned if I missed a game, but there were definitely those that used their season tickets as an investment. Up until this time, I think many in Denver actually considered having season tickets as an investment, they were always so hard to come by, but it went to a whole new level.

The Broncos actually did audits on how people were using their seats and took away season tickets as a result. I don't think tons, but it was enough and made local media.

Since then, the Broncos have obviously been crap. Between not enjoying games much at all when I do go (used to be one of my absolute favorite things going to a Broncos game), the plain suck, and life with kids and activities, I haven't gone to more than half the games in some time. I try to sell what I can, usually to friends at a deal, but I have long passed the time of giving a crap if visitors are there. If Steelers fans want to pay more than $200 a pop for garbage football, I'll let them. That's what I did last week. I never would have done that 10 years ago. (And for what it's worth, Broncos fans still do a pretty good job of keeping the other fans out -- I saw a TikTok last week from a Steelers fan saying he was surprised how few Steelers fans were there.)

This crap costs too much time and money, and a lot of us still really enjoy it and don't mind paying for it, but when it is bad who cares if you sell the tickets and try to recoup some of it? By the end of the past few seasons I can't give away my seats, so when I sell I try to do it while optimism still exists or the other team creates demand. It's such a crazy mentality that we should be that loyal when paying thousands for a bad product.

I don't want to get rid of my tickets, though. Deep down it is still one of my favorite things and they still are really hard to get in Denver. I also still worry about that damn audit they did back then. That was kind of garbage of the team.

MileHigh and dixiehack like this.
  11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Flag for incorrect use of "quarter pole."

The quarter pole is not one-fourth of the way through a race. It means there's a quarter-mile to the finish line, regardless of how long the race is.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I sincerely thank you for the using the game's true name.

2muchcoffeeman and dixiehack like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted