1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS leagues expanding - yeah?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 19, 2010.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I would think that the PAc-6 can recruit any MW school it wants, with the curious exception of Air Force. The Pac-6 may have been withholding the UNLV invitation in the hope that they can eventually pry UNLV out separately. But the Pac-6 will find two additional members.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I've spent better than twenty years as a UAB fan in a conference with Memphis. The Pac dodged a bullet, between the various nonsense and the toxic fan base.

TigerVols, maumann, HanSenSE and 2 others like this.
  3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I wonder how opposed Air Force truly is to uncoupling football from the other sports? It isn’t like they’ve ever put much more than the bare minimum into those anyway. If Army and Navy can spend their winters in the Patriot League it shouldn’t be any disgrace for the Falcons to decamp for the Summit.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2024 at 5:27 PM
  4. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

It seems that is their hangup. And if they want all their sports to be a package, then that's why the Pac doesn't want them and it makes total sense.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Nobody likes them, but here we are. If we don't hang together we will most certainly hang separately.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Any MWC AD who signs a binding agreement today is crazy. Wait and see if you get a Pac-12 offer.

8. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

UNLV staying in the MWC. I can only assume they're tied to Nevada's hip.

9. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

So UNLV, Air Force and San Jose State commit to the MW. Air Force was likely only wanted for football if at all, UNLV couldn't get away from Nevada, who wasn't wanted, and San Jose State probably wasn't on the table, although they have one of the biggest TV markets out there (if that matters in any of this).

Utah State says see ya. Probably the next best choice is New Mexico and then figure it out from there.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Had the Pac-2/6/? been in existence in 2023-24, with WSU, OSU, BSU, CSUF, SDSU, CSU, Gonzaga and Utah State as members, it would have earned 13 units in the NCAA men's basketball tournament. That's 13x $330,000 ($4,290,000) per year for the next six years, for a total of $25,740,000 from the 2024 tournament alone.

That's some serious cash. Split only nine ways, not 18 or 16 ways ike in the P4 leagues. Find one more football-playing program that is decent in MBB at least occasionally (Wyoming? New Mexico?) and you've got a pretty darn good hoops conference.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2024 at 7:31 PM
    Roscablo likes this.
  11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

It still seems strange to me that when the Pac-2 announced it was adding four schools, it left two spots to fill. If other MWC schools were the target, why not ink them all at once?

The only thing that makes sense is they either wanted out-of-region schools, like Memphis or UTSA ... or they still have some hope of Cal and Stanford coming back. But that latter option makes too much sense geographically and, more importantly, costs too much $$$.

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Or they were trying to see if they could split UNLV and Nevada or they had to leave two spots in case they needed to eventually take both together?

I Should Coco likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted