1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS leagues expanding - yeah?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 19, 2010.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Curious that Nevada hasn't committed yet if it is tied to the hip with UNLV.

Maybe Wyoming can be the Warren G. Harding of this affair and be asked to join on the 22nd ballot.

dixiehack and maumann like this.
  2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Is the reluctance to take in Nevada a UNLV thing? It’s a state flagship university with respectable programs in all sports, including football. The Pac could settle for much worse. Maybe they want a New Mexico to feast on instead, who knows.

3. micropolitan guy

Nevada sucks in football and plays at a stadium that would embarrass a number of Texas high schools.

Funny that some in the media world are making a big deal that SJSU re-committed to the MWC. No offense to the Spartans fans here, but they were never even in the discussion. Never.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

But, by golly, if they can put out a statement thumping their chests for their loyalty, they'll do it.

5. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I don't know. Maybe they should have just done the package and they would be good right now.

Part of the problem of all of this is the MW teams coming over wanted to leave a good chunk of the current MW, and I am sure Washington State and Oregon State thought they were going to get something pretty decent, if not newsworthy. I still feel they wouldn't have done this, especially with only four additions, without at least having a somewhat decent plan who the next two or four were going to be.

I can't tell if this is all part of the process or if things really blew up in their faces today. I think they have the AAC teams with better financial guarantees, which either they hedged a bet or didn't really care if they got them in the end.

6. Roscablo

Nevada is normally good at basketball and has had some football success, but overall it obviously is just a school that the Pac didn't want. SJSU has the media market, but that doesn't seem like a consideration. I think the Nevadas and SJSUs of the world are who the four teams that originally left wanted to get away from. I kind of thought Utah State was probably on there as well, although much more of a current peer institution, but things happened today, obviously.

micropolitan guy likes this.
  7. micropolitan guy

According to Pete Thamel, Utah State has accepted a bid to join the now-Pac-7. The Aggies have really upped their game since the old PCAA era.

8. Roscablo

The other fun thing now is both the Pac and MW stand at seven, although the MW would need two more to be official for all sports since one of theirs is Hawaii. Maybe the Pac should just grab Gonzaga for all other sports and Hawaii for football and call it a day.

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

No offense taken. As I posted uptopic, they're throwing a lot of capital into improvements and actually spending money on marketing, but right now I don't think they're at the level they need to be competitive on a consistent basis.

10. micropolitan guy

I love the Spartans.

The other fun thing now is both the Pac and MW stand at seven, although the MW would need two more to be official for all sports since one of theirs is Hawaii. Maybe the Pac should just grab Gonzaga for all other sports and Hawaii for football and call it a day.

I think one more domino is going to fall before the last page has to get off the deck, as we used to say.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

After the AAC blew up, I thought the best bests would be UNLV and Utah State.

12. Roscablo

Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if anything is really final. Any of these schools could still flip.

MileHigh and micropolitan guy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted