1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS leagues expanding - yeah?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Now being reported that UNLV has not committed to the MW. How fun. If UNLV ends up in the Pac, is it like MileHigh thought, UNLV and Utah State were who they wanted all along?

MileHigh likes this.
  2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yes, according to reports UNLV's commitment to the Mountain West has not been formalized. It sent in a Memorandum of Understanding to the Mountain West, but that was predicated on all eight schools committing.

UNLV commits to the Pac-2/7/? before the night is over. The Pac-2 just went Michael Corleone on baptism day on the MWC.

Roscablo likes this.
  3. micropolitan guy

I'm loving the Western orientation of the conversation. It's like were all Steeler fans taking over the weekly NFL threads! :D

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Then solidify Gonzaga and ... you've got at least something.

Roscablo likes this.
  5. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Yep. Not awful. I don't know why they just didn't take six from the MW in the first place and then try their hand at the AAC if that was the plan, but whatever.

6. micropolitan guy

I think USU boosters have committed to paying some of the departure fee. So maybe by waiting the league saved some money, who knows.

If GU and UNLV do come along - which I believe they will - the Pac-2/7/? just kneecapped its the MWC and the WCC, its top West Coast competition.

Roscablo likes this.
  7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Just a hunch: They wanted more of a national footprint and not be tied to the Mountain and Pacific time zones like they were before to be more appealing/have more TV windows. It didn't work, so they pivoted back to the regional footprint -- as it should be. Again, if it's UNLV, Utah State and Gonzaga, as someone who grew up with and loved the Pac-10/12, it's not what it used to be but given the circumstances, it's definitely something.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Remember that (other than the obvious better payout) the stated motivation for the four MWC teams that jumped to the Pac was to get away from the bottom half of that conference who dragged down the SoS and split the pie too thin.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2024 at 8:48 PM
  9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Per Thamel, UNLV officials to meet tonight.

10. micropolitan guy

It's all over except the shouting. Just depends on if they want to release the news tonight or wait until the morning.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I don't know that the figures have been released, but the Pac may have overspent paying buyouts in getting the initial MWC 4. The $2.5m toward a $25m buyout was taken as an insult by the AAC teams.

12. micropolitan guy

I'm looking at this from a West Coast perspective, but the ACC three turning them down was the best thing that could have happened.

Draft saved Draft deleted