1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I putt a spel on yu

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Sep 23, 2024 at 5:39 PM.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

My spelling on my phone texts became much better when I began using a Swype keyboard. More often than not, the single swipe around the keyboard will produce the right result. And if it's wrong, chances are it will suggest the right word.

I'm pretty fast on the keyboard, 115 wpm the last time I was tested. A lot of that has to do with the fact that I self-correct really fast. I'm editing myself continuously. As anyone who has spent much time around SJ.com will attest to.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I usually know immediately when I've made a typo and correct it quickly. However, somewhere along the way, my brain says "when" and my fingers type "with." Yep, and my brain says "with" and my fingers type "when." There might be a couple of other words when this happens. Strange. I always copyedit myself, even on texts, because the damn autocorrect is not my friend.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Philadlephia.

Philadlephia.

Philadlephia.

Philadelphia. (Usually around the fourth try.)

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

At the quarter pole?

[crossthread]

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Yep (and I've posted this before), about covering the Olumpics.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

My big issue now is my iPhone trying to turn words in text messages into proper names from my contacts. The gets changed to Theresa. Big gets changed to Biggs. Very frustrating - and something that I think only started a month or two ago.

7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

You can disable autocorrect and predictive text, you know. And other stuff.

So do it. It's not worth the hassles. One of the first things I do when I get a new device.

On Apple products, go to Settings > Keyboards. Other devices probably have similar options.

Here is the stuff I use and don't use. Got real tired of having to back up and fix auto-mistakes.

upload_2024-9-25_12-39-49.png

Draft saved Draft deleted