1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Sears

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I fully do admit to spending more time just wandering around and looking at BP than I do making purchases.

2. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

Clock must not be ticking too fast because Academy just opened a new store in my locale.

Driftwood likes this.
  3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Bass Pro Shop opened in Irvine maybe a year ago. Only the second in SoCal, the other is in Rancho Cucamonga. Next closest is Vegas.
    Bass Pro-Irvine underwent about a three-year remodel process when, oddly enough, it took over a shuttered Walmart that was deemed "under performing." It is in a shopping strip that has Costco, PGA Superstore, Bassett furniture, Living Spaces, 3 fast food places (Wendy's, Carl's, Del Taco) a bank and a Shell station that has a Subway in it. The surrounding area is all business park, nothing residential nearby.
    I shop and get gas at Costco. Used to hit the Walmart for anything I needed that Costco didn't have. Have only been in a Bass Pro Shop once, with a friend in Mesa, Ariz., who needed ammo. I was terrified just walking in, but I didn't really get past the lobby/waiting area.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Terrified? Why?

Liut likes this.
  5. ChrisLong

Guns, ammo, fish hooks, spear guns, etc. Things I know nothing about and don't wish to find out.

John likes this.
  6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

How the heck could you be “terrified” walking into a store with inanimate objects on a shelf or behind a counter?

2muchcoffeeman and Liut like this.
  7. ChrisLong

Guns scare me. I didn't even like going to the shooting gallery at Disneyland.

SixToe likes this.
  8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Can’t believe this wasn’t the end of Kmart:

Hermes and garrow like this.
  9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I've never been scared walking into a Bass Pro.
    I've been terrified coming out knowing my wife is going to ask "how much did that cost?"

garrow, 2muchcoffeeman and wicked like this.
  10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I understand what you’re saying. But growing up in Chicagoland, I was always more concerned about the stolen/confiscated guns being sold out of car trunks by criminals/cops than I was worried about the guns sold at Kmart.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. ChrisLong

OK, I witnessed one incident. We had a staff party at a guy's condo. Maybe a dozen people, including the HR director (which is incidental to this story, except that she was supposed to be a responsible person). The guy brought out his shotgun to show around. He handed it to the HR woman. She obviously didn't know anything about it, was holding it awkward -- BOOM!!!!
    The blast of buckshot goes through the wall to the next unit. The owner turns white and races next door, I was behind him. The couple next door are sitting calmly on their couch and they pointed to the direction the buckshot went. No harm done, except a hole in the wall.

Also, I was particularly shaken by the death of Chicago guitar player Terry Kath.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was such a senseless, tragic loss.

Draft saved Draft deleted