1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Schwan's

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Sep 24, 2024 at 4:56 PM.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Was bought out a couple years ago and now kaput.

2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Haven't seen a Schwan's truck on the road in the past few years. Undercut by meal kits and online food delivery. Amazon, Walmart and UPS/FedEx deliver more food at a lower ROI.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

My mom was a steady Schwan’s customer, but when their ordering had to be done online and she couldn’t just call it in or have the Schwan guy just periodically come by, she was done.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2024 at 7:07 PM
  4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The push-up pops
    The flautas that no matter how long they were in the oven/microwave……they were still frozen or molten lava. There was no cool or warm.
    The bean burritos.
    My grandmother had 2 deep freezers in her basement that was set aside specifically for the Schwan’s guy. He knew he had one job to do every week. Walk in the house. Go to the basement. Fill the freezers. If it was a single box of popsicles or 10 pounds of frozen okra. He knew his charge.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2024 at 3:54 PM
    2muchcoffeeman and Liut like this.
  5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

My Catholic friend's family — 8 kids — had Schwan's stuff because it was just to hard logistically to drive into town and buy groceries. I never knew anyone else who had the delivery.

I once talked to Schwan about a job and was told it was a 70- to 80-hour week probably seven days a week. I noped right on out of that discussion.

6. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Being a native New Englander, I have never heard of this. Was this the Amazon of the 20th century?

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

It was more like FreezerDash. They had flyers with ice cream and heat-up product to be delivered. Predated even the microwave. Even had fairly regular routes in some neighborhoods.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I guess Schwan's was a regional thing, 'cause I don't remember it from my youth in the South. Where did it operate? I have heard of it but I thought it was just ice cream.

9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Ditto -- SoCal

10. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Exact same reaction.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Pretty sure it was mostly in the Midwest. By the time I was in school, Market Day products (a fundraiser for many schools) had cut out many of Schwan’s customers, especially in non-ice cream products.

The Market Day bagel dogs … a staple of my teenage diet!

Liut likes this.
  12. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

the pizza wontons and root beer float popsicles were The Truth

I Should Coco likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted