1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 5 college football thread - The Bamachurian Candidate

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 23, 2024 at 8:40 AM.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Starting with the fact that you still refer to it as a sport. Which is quaint, but horribly inaccurate.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I expect the NCAA will claw back the play a few games then still redshirt loophole. That was a late-stage “player-friendly” move when they were trying to stave off the pay for play beast. That didn’t work, so time to start treating employees like employees. There are a lot of areas where they can’t do that without collective bargaining, but they do still control eligibility requirements.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

He's more of a playmaker that kills you with his feet and does amazing things in tight late-game situations. I think he rushed for about 120 yards against Kansas and I know he had a 300-yard rushing game at Holy Cross. Solid player for the G5 level.

Either way, if he was promised 100K and they only decided they could only give him 12K they can fuck all the way off. I say that feeling quite bad for their OC Brennan Marion, who is a hell of a coach and a solid guy. I doubt it was his fault.

dixiehack and Neutral Corner like this.
  5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

What he's describing is still an NCAA rules violation, right? For this year, schools could not promise pay for play. Not until at least next year that direct institutional compensation is allowed, and that's still on hold in re: House. I think.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Oh I agree. And can relate to the guy. How many times did I have an editor ask me to do something extra, work an extra shift, cover something off my beat, come in early, stay late, switch my shift or hours and say "We'll make it up to you." All lies. I'm still surprised there isn't a national data base for NIL, so players KNOW what the market is,

All I know is that if I'm a player, I'm signing my NIL deal BEFORE I sign the NLI.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

You mean the Brennan Marion who quit Pitt in a huff when he found out that he wasn't going to be promoted to OC after Mark Whipple left, took the WR coaching job at Texas and immediately started trying to recruit Jordan Addison into the portal? That one? There's a reason that dude's resume goes Mountain West-ACC-Big XII-back to the Mountain West. He's a helluva' football coach. I won't deny that. Pitt's wide receivers improved exponentially under him and they probably don't win the ACC in 2021 without him. He's also a damn good recruiter. But my compliments, and this is after talking to multiple people who worked with him, end there. Let's just say he learned under Todd Graham and learned very well.

9. Neutral Corner

I'll say this for Trent Dilfer, at least when he talked about how UAB's limited NIL money would/should be used, he talked about the focus being on trying to retain players that value being at UAB and not focusing on putting too much money towards incoming transfers. Regardless of the actual details, it would seem that approach is going to lead to less problematic scenarios for the smaller money programs.

10. Neutral Corner

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

If we know for certain that is what happened, then yes, the school was wrong.

More interested in seeing where he ends up. If it's at a P4 team with a ton of cash, then maybe it's a different story altogether.

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

he had 39 carries for 253 yards and a TD so far this year

Draft saved Draft deleted