1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As the number of people willing to answer polls dwindles on a daily basis, polling becomes difficult to the point of impossibility. Pollsters are forced to make guesses, educated ones maybe but maybe not on just how well the subset of people who'll respond to polls reflects the opinions of the entire electorate. I don't think it's a coincidence that the last 4 presidential elections were close in the popular vote nationally and very close in the swing states and that is exactly what polls show about this election. It's an educated guess, more likely correct than not, but a guess all the same.

Mr._Graybeard and FileNotFound like this.
  2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

3. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I laughed:

garrow likes this.
  4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

6. Della9250

7. Della9250

8. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

What do the presidential betting odds, not polls, tell us about the outcome? Well, it's called a gamble and not a guarantee for a reason.

To wit: On Nov. 6, 2016, two days before the election, Hillary Clinton was at 88 percent to Donald Trump's 13 percent. She was never lower than 65 percent throughout 2016.

Right before the 2020 election, Biden was at 63 percent to Trump's 35 percent, down slightly from his peak of 67.5 percent and up dramatically from the 50-49.5 edge he had on Sept. 1.

And still, it came down to the wire, at least in terms of calling the race and waiting out swing states.

Today, Harris is at 51.4 percent to Trump's 46.9 percent, down a tick from her high of 53.6 in mid-August. His highest was 66 percent the day after he was shot in Pennsylvania and before Harris entered the race.

Will she see a huge uptick as Biden and Hillary did? Perhaps but unless there is some catastrophic event don't count on it.

TigerVols likes this.
  9. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

"Thugs," "leave the country" — did a decent job hitting the keywords.

matt_garth likes this.
  11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Way down in New Orleans, yeah
    I met this old lady
    She said she'd teach me 'bout Voodoo (Voodoo)
    She said she knew about Voodoo (Voodoo)
    She said she'd teach me 'bout Voodoo (Voodoo)
    She said she knew about Voodoo (Voodoo)

She had an old doll (Voodoo)
    She had a long shiny needle (Voodoo)
    She held the doll in the air, it looked kinda like me (Voodoo)
    She took the needle stuck it in its eye!
    AHHHHH!
    My eye! Bitch!

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted