1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Lewis says Moneyball made baseball more boring

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Sep 25, 2024 at 11:38 AM.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Ty Cobb would say he could still hit .300 and he'd be 137 years old this season.

maumann likes this.
  2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The problem with analytics is that people decide that because some strategies and playing techniques are statistically preferable much of the time, they are universally preferable all of the time. Thus you have banjo-hitting infielders swinging from the heels for home runs.

HanSenSE and YMCA B-Baller like this.
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

At a game at Dodger Stadium in the '80s, 50 year old Sandy Koufax, just for a laugh, threw some Dodger BP. After about three batters, Tommy Lasorda came out and shooed him off because the Dodgers couldn't hit his stuff out of the cage. So I think he'd do fine today, just like I think Henry Aaron would hit pretty well.

4. Ookpik

Ookpik Active Member

No, I believe the A's last won the World Series in 1989.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Someone referenced the woeful White Sox who are who I meant.

6. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Sorry for making a joke at the expense of the White Sox. I was mostly referencing the Athletic story about Reinsdorf and how they've lagged other organizations in their analytics department. Carry on.

Also, Go Cubs (who will also be at home this winter for as long as the Sox).

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

How about Johnny Podres?

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Would be fitting for the Guardians bullpen to combine for a no-hitter.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

It was before a World Series game against the Yankees.

11. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

My hot take:

Keep Moneyball, but bring back cocaine.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

One of the main principles of analytics which has become pretty much universal across all sports is, if you're not going to win the championship, fuck it, tear down the entire organization to the blocks and start over again.
    "Tanking" has become the operative philosophy.

So essentially, if a team makes the playoffs and advances one round then loses, the immediate inclination is to blow it up and suck for 6-8 years. It's a never ending race to the bottom.

Big Circus and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted